Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-series mystery oil leak

andy oliver

My 1.8 VHPD leaks oil from the inlet camshaft front

oil seal between the camshaft and the seal rather

than the head and the seal.I have replaced the seal

and the leak is still there and in the same place.

Has anyone any ideas as I am at a loss? I don't think I damaged the seal when fitting it and the engine has only done 500 odd miles.Any suggestions much appreciated.

Theory:

The inner lip of the seal is the source of all leaks. Attempts to fit the seal turn the lip, invisible when it is fitted, but obvious when removed and inspected.

Practice:

With the seal at a small angle to the camshaft end, hook the lip underneath the camshaft end. Pull gently upwards and around to get a bit of slack and the entire circumference of the lip should slip over the camshaft end without resistance. To locate the seal into the head, use a socket that is a good match for the diameter of the seal and place the old seal between the socket and the new seal to protect it. Tap the socket gently and squarely to seat the seal.

Easy peasy smile.gif

just out of interest, is your engine new or has it done 500 milkes since fitting a new seal? If the engine is new, should it be repaired under warranty? If you have fitted a new seal 500 miles ago, was it fitted to fix a leak or for some other reason. Has it leaked ever since fitting the seal or only after 500 miles?

Graham

just out of interest, is your engine new or has it done 500 milkes since fitting a new seal? If the engine is new, should it be repaired under warranty? If you have fitted a new seal 500 miles ago, was it fitted to fix a leak or for some other reason. Has it leaked ever since fitting the seal or only after 500 miles?

Graham

Graham

Peter Carmichael's description is spot on and I always use this method with great success. The reason the crankshaft oil seal comes with a plastic cap to aid fitment is because the seal has to pass over the flat that the crank pulley is driven/located by. It stops the seal getting damaged on these edges. The camshaft does not have any reasonable location to be able to use such a devise on.