Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rake probelm

akb

I have an R400 with std setup - CR500 on 13 in rims, adjustable platform. I am trying to set the lower wishbones parallel to the floor which give approx 70mm under the gearbox protection bar but can not get less than 25 mm of rake. The rear shocks are on the lowest circlip and as low as they will go.

What am I doing wrong or is it not possible to get 15mm on 13 in rims? If it is not possible which is better to have a higher front or a larger rake assuming all suspension geometry will be adjusted once the rake change is made?

Thanks

Andy

Hello,

I had this when i set up my 2010 academy car.

The adjustable spring seats are made up of two large ali threaded washers. I got the shoulder machined off the bottom of the two so it could then sit lower on the damper, this brings the back of the car down.

I can email you a pic if you like?

25mm rake is quiet a lot, if i was you i would set the rear as low as possible and then raise the front so it is about 10-15mm lower with you in the car. More sump clearance the better.

It might be easier to take your car to a race team to have it flat floored, they will set the camber and tracking etc. McMillan motorsport are very good.

Chris Perry

Ah it now makes more sense. I guess I have the progressive springs. I have a metric chassis. The springs have a smaller gap at the top. So they will be the progressive ones.

I understand that raising the rear relative to the front will raise the rear roll centre with respect to the front but how does that affect the over/under steer handling?

In my experience, the rake is quite critical to the overall balance of the car. Not enough and the car won't want to turn-in very crisply, especially at speed - understeer. Too much and it will want to swap ends before you reach the apex - oversteer.