Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500 sidewall cracks

Michael H

Doing some jobs on the car today, and I noticed some cracking on the sidewalls of my 15" CR500s. These tyres are 2 years old, 10,000 miles on them, still legal with about 3mm tread left. 3 out of the 4 tyres have the cracks, mostly on the inner sidewall (which is why I didn't notice them before). See here.

I've got a track day in a few weeks - Very unhappy about going out with tyres in this condition! Anybody else had a similar experience with CR500s? Is a call to Avon in order, or do I just replace them since they were nearly done anyway?

Cheers

Mike

The 15" CR500s are prone to surface cracking on the inside wall, due, I believe, to the increased temperature with the tyre wall flexing more than the outer wall because of the camber.

It was suggested that this could become more of an issue when cars travel long distances with little change in the positioning of the wheels and steering to relieve the constant flexing (eg long motorway journeys etc - which you shouldn't be doing in a 7 anyway *nono* *tongue*).

Here's mine from 2007 (Avon Racing replaced them direct, and have done so with a few other membrs as well - blatmail me if you'd like a contact) :

here

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Is "2 years old" from when you bought them or when they were made?

The date codes are 2111, 2511 and 2611 so I reckon that means June 2011. That date tallies with my purchasing them from CC in September 2011. I've emailed Avon, interested to know if they will reply. Quite fancy a new set FOC...

Thanks for the replies everyone

Mike

I recently found similar cracks on the sidewalls of my 15-inch CR500’s on the rear only (245/40 R15); no cracks on the front (195/45/ R15). I have 8500 road miles on the tires; no track miles.

I bought the fronts tires from CC in 2007 with my S3 kit, which was not completely assembled until 2010. I bought the larger rear tires in 2009. None of the tires hit the road until 2010.

I suppose any warranty claim to Avon at this point would be out of time….

Has Avon categorically stated that these cracks are not a safety issue? If so, I will stop worrying about them. If not…….

• Leadership Team

Quoting Ian B: 
It was suggested that this could become more of an issue when cars travel long distances with little change in the positioning of the wheels and steering to relieve the constant flexing (eg long motorway journeys etc - which you shouldn't be doing in a 7 anyway *nono* *tongue*).
Strange, my BMW seems to cope fine with many 1000's of straightline motorway miles, very similar camber angle (if not more) but running real tyres.

A good search of BC will show this has been discussed many times before, sometimes the result being a crack completely across the tread pattern. Basically Avons are cr4p.

Stu.

• 9 months later...
Just noticed that I have some cracks on the inner walls of my rear CR500's... Just wondered if anyone knows if they will pass an MOT with the cracks ? I'm soon to be taking the car for a 600+ mile run...do the cracks introduce and safety risks ?