Click here if you are having website access problems ×

vauxhall 2.0 hpc

kevvickers

Have a quick question:

I own a 2.0 HPC car, and have had a problem every now and then with the car cutting out whilst going along!

Caterham suggested removing immobiliser, done this and has happened since. Was going to change fuel pump next, any other ideas?

The car is factory standard.

Took me years to cure the same problem on my car. Fitted new ecu, fitted new vecta etc etc. Finally tracked it down to corroding/loose contacts on the back of the alternator. The alternator wiring is part of the ignition circuit and when it breaks down it is just like switching the ignition off. The resultant jolting of the car is usualy (but not always) sufficient to re make the alternator connection and off you go again. Next time you get the problem look at your rev counter. If it flickers this will indicate an electrical problem somewhere, or just take the wires off the back of the alternator and clean well and tighten. You should also clean the connections on the back of the alternator (difficult without taking the unit off the car)

Good luck

Basic checks.

Air - look down carbs and check butterflys, check throttle mechanism

Electrical - dizzy - check rotor arm / points, HT lead, plug leads, plugs, ECU connections, alternator connections, senders and connections if fitted for ECU, throttle pot if 3D mapping, petrol pump wiring

Fuel - carefully check fuel flow to carbs, don't know enough about carbs to comment.

Last Vx I saw with similar symptoms turned out to be the rotor arm needing a clean up.