Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HELP - Attaching rear brake lines to calipers

Having fitted the rear dedion tube, discs, caliper a etc I'm at a point where the handbrake had been attached but I still haven't attached the main brake hoses.

On both sides of the car, the (copper?) pipes come out in the vicinity of where they need to connect to the caliper but are generally pointing in the wrong direction. Is the idea supposed to be to gently bend them around and feed them into the calipers? If so any suggestions on the best way to do it without busting the pipes?

A picture showing how the RH side looks is below, note tue pipe on right side of image sticking directly up vertically.

Rear brake line

My only other thought was us there some kind of 90 degree elbow I'm not finding in the kit somewhere?

All thoughts appreciated,

Thanks

Tom

The brake pipes bend easily (especially using the socket tip *arrowup*). When I did mine, I placed the DD tube on the bench, and attached the ears and calipers temporarily (see here). That way, I could align the pipes with plenty of room for manoeuvre, all ready for final assembly (see here). Looking again at the Assembly Guide, Para 9.3 sort of implies to do this, but doesn't actually say so. Even though you've already fitted the DD tube, you should still have room to bend the pipes.

JV

Do people recommend pipe bending tools? I bought one that's like a pair of pliers with a blue plastic grooved wheel. (I've only bent brake pipes during the build and didn't get to a point where I decided if the tool helped or not.)

What's the current thinking on fitting flexible pipes to the callipers?

Thanks

Jonathan

I think it would be an improvement. It would mean an extra joint each side but would make removal of callipers & checking/replacing brake pads easier.

I believe a lot of the racers have flexible hoses to the rear brakes.

Is it me or is Tom & co building this supersport R at a fair old pace. 😶‍🌫️

Perhaps you want it finished before this warm spell finishes. *cool*

I was more like Captain Slow reading & re-reading the AG & filing tools! *wink*

The pipe into the rear caliper. The constant flexing causes fatigue failures.

Disadvantages? I believe that braided hoses can in theory expand slightly under pressure so that feel might be reduced. Don't think anyone I know can actually notice any difference. And there are already braided hoses on the front of course. *cry*

Just do it. It's a no brainer tbh, don't forget that that the part of the calipers your brake lines are attached to, is the part that moves. Some people maintain, that this removes a small bit of the resistance to the calipers actually moving, but aside from that, it makes it a piece of piss to remove the calipers to fit new pads, and more importantly, to clean the slides. And you can do all this, without disconnecting the brake lines, and having to bleed the system.

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 

I think it would be an improvement. It would mean an extra joint each side but would make removal of callipers & checking/replacing brake pads easier.

I believe a lot of the racers have flexible hoses to the rear brakes.

Is it me or is Tom & co building this supersport R at a fair old pace. 😶‍🌫️

Perhaps you want it finished before this warm spell finishes. *cool*

I was more like Captain Slow reading & re-reading the AG & filing tools! *wink*

There's two main drivers. Firstly I do, as you correctly point out, want it finished before the weather closes in but secondly, my weekends are going to be filled up pretty soon when the sport that I play gets going again for the season. I've also now booked for Caterham to collect the car on the 23rd Sept to do the post build check so it needs to be finished.

So far things have gone pretty well although I did strip the thread on one of the drop links today so have had to buy a new one of those!

I am enjoying your blog of the build Tom. I admire your honesty...if I stripped a thread or snapped something due to human error I think I would just leave that bit out of the blog! *wink*

Some of the extra bits of trim that have to be added for the SVA seem daft to me, my build was only six years ago but quite a lot seems to have changed. *rolleyes*

With clear text & pictures I think your blog will be a good reference tool for any future kit builders. *thumbup*