Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More Oil change questions

Gary G

I am about to do my first oil change following lots of advice from everyone here. But I've got a couple more questions:

1) Caterham Owner's manual recommends changing oil after a prolonged period of the car being laid up. Now, I still use my car over the winter, but probably only every 3/4 weeks due to the weather. Am I better off waiting until the spring to do the change?

2) I'll be putting the car on axle stands for the oil change. Is it important to remove all wheels when it is on the stands, or am I okay just to remove the one that'll get in my way?

C7 GAR

I leave the wheel on. The axle stands are just to stop the tyres getting flat spots, you could always raise the pressure in the tyres does the same job. I also remove all the pads, cos they mark the discs if left for to too long in one place. It happend to me last year on my Exige so not taking chance this year. Don't think the marks affected the braking but not taking the risk.

Chris

H15 SVN Get It!

Garry if your oil in the car at the moment is ok leave it .two or three weeks is nothing.

As long as you don't park the car with wet brakes you dont have to remove the pads

you don't have to remove the wheels to change the oil and filter just turn the steering to the right.

for the extra few pounds always change the filter with the oil .warm the engine first and let it sit for five min. *smile*

Edited by - fred on 3 Dec 2002 17:29:30

so what's the verdict on longer periods?

I've done less than 600 miles on my present mobile 1 and have since left it for 2 months - changing in the spring will be painfull to the wallet for such little use.

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

Greg you don't have to change the oil just because you have not used the car for a few months .

you can change it just like any other sports car just normal servicing

but if you are using it for a lot of track days and hammering the **** out of it ,change as often as you can afford to . *biggrin*

Gary, One important point.

After you have just changed your oil. DO NOT fire the engine immediately!

First, turn the engine with the starter motor untill the oil pressure guage shows some pressure. This will help to avoid unneccesary engine wear !!

~~~ standard 1.7 X-flow

Edited by - yw sin on 3 Dec 2002 20:37:49

Thanks Mav. I thought that might be the case. I've not poked around the engine of my Caterham much, but presumably there is a main HT lead that goes from the coil to the Distributor? If so, I guess I can just unplug that instead of all four leads?

C7 GAR