Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Different PCD on hub upgrade kit?

viperbl

Guys, got the hub upgrade kit off caterham. When fitting the disks it was very tight with putting the bolts in, did not think too much about it until I went to put the wheels on... my MB wheels will not go on at all ... good few mm difference it PCD it would seem.

Tried my old hub in the wheels to make sure I am not going made, prefect fit.

Does anyone know if these upgrade kits are built a little differently??

cheers

Quoting Nigel Fox: 
Are the wheel studs in the new hubs in square? ie. perpendicular to the wheel mounting face.

as far as I can see they are... but,

The old hub has a distance of 96.1 between studs.

The new hub has 94.9 and 94.7 between the insides of studs...

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
The bolts in the new hub don't look true in those photos. Can you take them out, align the holes in the new old and new hubs and post the photos? And/or measure the distance between the holes.

Jonathan

Had a look at the picture and you are right, looks on the p1ss for sure, checked the bottom of the bolts and they are 96.1 so it is the top of the bolt that's on the piss ...

manufacturing issue then! wonder if the holes are straight true ... both of the hubs are the same.

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Can't picture how that straightening trick works... more details, please.

Thanks

Jonathan

If you pack out beneath the wheel nut with washers, tightening the nut will pull the stud tight against it's 'head'. As the nut is pulling against the face of the hub the stud will always align itself as you go.

It has a bigger stub axle, which is less prone to breaking (I've seen the old ones snap on a race car)

It has bearings with integrated rubber seals rather than the felt ones.

It has aluminium hubs, although these can cause problems with the bearings which can wear the aluminium over time.