Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cutting hole for exhaust

jp7

Hi all, at some point i've got to get a bigger hole cut for my slr exhaust. If anybody who has been down this route could give me a few pearls of wisdom on the subject, like how did you get the shape,what tools etc, i'd gratefully appreciate it.

cheers

Andy

We used a round punch nibbler and a 22000 rpm air grinding tool on Phil's.

Bit OTT, tin snips and a flapper wheel or round file would do.

We had to cut and then offer up the pipes time and again to get the hole to suit.

Mail me if you want some pics of him doing it. He made me do all the nibbling. Could barely watch as his baby got cut up. He made a nice job of it, as he does with most things....

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 3 Dec 2002 12:06:42

• Area Representative

Andy

I got Caterham to send me a nice cardboard template with the exhaust. I marked it out with a eye liner pencil & used plenty of masking tape to protect the body. I cut the hole to the pencil line with a dremel & used the tape to support the peice I was cutting. I then finished it off by using a file to remove the aluminium to the out part of the pencil line. Just take your time.

All the best.

Thanks for the replies. If i get hold of a template, how do you work out the position? Also if i went down the 'grind a bit and see' route, could i use a flap wheel for the whole lot, and not bother with the tin snips?

cheers

andy

I got a cardboard template from Caterham as well. It was nicely shaped to fit over the top chassis member and against the Dzus fitting for the nosecone so it was possible to position the whole thing in exactly the right place. I put masking tape where the cut was going to be made, marked and then drilled a row of very small holes just inside the line, used a dremel to finish off. I echo Tin Man's advice - the secret is to take your time. The more impatient you get, the more likely you are to make a mistake *mad*.

Where are you - I still have the cardboard template in the garage if that's any use 🤔

SV 52 CAT - the Mole is flying

I also used a flapper wheel to get a nice smooth exhaust apperture. Another advantage is that its fairly smooth to use. I would recommend either doing this job outside or keep everything covered up (including your nose, and mouth) as the aluminium dust gets just about everywhere.

Steve - yes he does, Andy has a very shiny all silver caterham *eek*

Andy - I have some flap wheels left over from when WIll SPIN butchered the side of my car *eek* *wink* if you want them, can bring them over friday 🤔 also I can chat about how we did my hole cutting

rob

Hi Mole, emailed you and got it bounced back. It would be great if you could post up the template. If you email me with your phone no. i'll call you to give my address. Just to check, the template is for a k series SL-R 4-2-1?

Cheers

Andy