Click here if you are having website access problems ×

x/flow ?water pump bolt sizes

Ian Macquarie

Hi,

I'm in France with a sheared water pump bolt on my X/Flow.

I belive that the water pump bolt, which also holds the alternator strut is 5/16" UNC - Could someone tell me what length I need and whether it is actually a bolt or a hex head set screw. - Just for completion, the length of the two 1/4" bolts may also be helpful.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

Since I guess this will be a get you home repair, why not just get long bolts and cut them to size? I cannot think that you will have more than 3/8" of thread depth in the block? Thinking about it youcan measure the length of the broken end once you have extracted it.

Good luck

V

Hi both,

Thanks for your help. did not have much time for internet searches this morning.

Current situation:

Alternator tension strut braced against timing cover bolts and alternater adjusted to give sufficient tension on fan belt.

A "radweld" type substance (not sure which one) added to radiator - The leak is now sealed - 160 miles covered today without loss of coolant.

My dilema now is carry on like this - which has some risk or to try to effect a "propper repair" which could lead to further problems resulting in a non-running car.

At the moment I think I prefer the former option - at least until it starts to leak again (if it does).

I have managed to get some 5/16" bolts from an agricultural repair place which I could possibly use but have not sourced the 1/4" bolts which may also shear if I try to undo them. Now need to source cardboard for a make shift gasket - I should then have what I would need if I do need to try to replace the bolt before getting back home

Ian