Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How many seat options are there for an S3?

Grubbster

I have the leather seats in my car but want to change them (they are starting to wear and maybe something a little more supportive would be nice). I have tried Tillets and don't get on with them, I like the look of the leather GT seats that CC supply but haven't sat in one yet. I need them to be adjustable (so bag seat no use). What else should I be considering?

• Area Representative

Steve

The official options are the S-types you have used (in leather or cloth, the latter gripping you more firmly), the tillets or the new (£££) GP Seats. I saw the last of these in the car that Colin and Lynn brought to the Ace Cafe meeting in July. They looked great and both driver and passenger were happy with them.

Beyond that I think it is experimentation.

Do you feel your S-types were better in the past? Has the back collapsed at all? It may be worth trying the passenger side, as it usually gets less wear.

In my 'old' car (known as Hot Snot *wink*) the current S-types are generally OK but one needs a bit of welding where the strap across the back broken away, so I could just get it fixed and keep them. But this year in the Academy car I have a very low foam seat that works well for me but no use for anyone else. What I'd like is something in between - a bit lower and slightly more reclined than the S Types but not as extreme as a bag seat. I don't think I want to go to the bother of fitting lowered floors though. The GT seats might be the ones (but so pricey!) so I was just wondering if anyone has success with any other type of seat. Something else to consider is that I need one that will work OK with my HANS on trackdays.

Sorry I didn't explain very well - the Academy car will keep the foam seat, it's only me that needs to drive it. I want to give my other 7 a bit of TLC, it is a road and trackday car that both I and Caroline need to be able to drive and we're quite different sizes/shapes *wink* It is a pair of new seats for this one that I'm considering, I don't want to switch seats around for trackdays as this is a bit too much of a faff (but a good idea if I wasn't so lazy!)

ETA - 4 minutes to remove or refit a Tillet is very good going, you should see the scars and hear the language whenever I've tried!

Edited by - Grubbster on 17 Aug 2013 16:57:00

• Area Representative

Steve

I have wondered in the past whether Oxted (or A.N.Other would cut differently shaped foam for an S-type frame. I would like a squab with lower profile under the thigh (for the 21). It might be worth asking them.

I have also considered a thin piece of foam in the tillet (in my Seven) to increase the lumbar support. When younger I felt there was no need for this, now I notice a slight lack of lumbar support sometimes.

There are the Tillet padded seat covers on ebay not sure how comfy they are.

I spent some time trying to find some pads to in some GRP Tillett style seats, but found it dufficult to find anything reasonable... Enthused by the Hacking trend, I started looking for sources of other Pads. Canoe pads seem quite interesting as they are gel filled, and could be stuck in place... the search continues...

• Support Team
Have you tried other Tillett seats? I have the B6 which has the headrest a bit further back to make it more comfortable with a helmet. The B4 is a slightly different design that looks more reclined in the couple of cars I have seen them fitted to.