Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Curborough Marshalls sprint regs

Alan Bowler

"As per supplementary regulations the CONE to the left of the FLAGPOLE on the first lap WILL if knocked down INCUR a 1 second penalty. This is to stop any advantage being gained."

Look left...

Will the club speed championship be adopting this rule next year?

AB

Shame that this may ruin an otherwise good run....... My feeling is that if there is a penalty then there should be more than one cone - perhaps 2 or 3 leading up to the apex cone (like the harewood clapper boards for example). This way you could actually see the corner on approach.

For me, an instinctive avoidance (knowing there's a penalty) at that speed and on the edge of control, may result in a fairly big off. Just my tuppence.......

I can't speak for others but hitting the cone is not deliberate - carbon is expensive! You can cut every other corner (and not just at Curborough) so what's the big deal here?

*wavey*

Quoting Stuart Miller 7: 
Shame that this may ruin an otherwise good run....... My feeling is that if there is a penalty then there should be more than one cone - perhaps 2 or 3 leading up to the apex cone (like the harewood clapper boards for example). This way you could actually see the corner on approach.

For me, an instinctive avoidance (knowing there's a penalty) at that speed and on the edge of control, may result in a fairly big off. Just my tuppence.......

I can't speak for others but hitting the cone is not deliberate - carbon is expensive! You can cut every other corner (and not just at Curborough) so what's the big deal here?

*wavey*

I'm with Stuart on this, what is the logic given that other venues such as Loton and Harewood, don't incur a penalty?

Replace the cones with flapper boards and then the meeting does not get held up to replace the cone.

Marking and Penalties - ALL FOUR WHEELS ACROSS THE WHITE LINE AT THE EDGE OF THE TRACK WILL RESULT IN A NO TIME RECORDED. Judges of fact will be the course controller, chief startline and the IC at post two, three, officials names will be posted on the notice board.

If i'm remembering correctly, the kerbs at Curborough are beyond the white line, does this mean that having one wheel on the grass and the other wheel on the curbs is now an off. So effectively a wheel must be in contact with the tarmac of the track at all times ?

The reason for the time penalty at Paddock is that it causes a stoppage and delay for the replacement of the cone.

4 Wheels off = generally - no time recorded. So yes my time what ever it was at Curbs in May should have been called a 4 Wheels Off if that is in the rules for the venue. (Its not a problem for me any more as I now have proper tyres again) 😬

It is very possible to hit the cone without 4 wheels off. Hence penalty but you still get a time.

Marking and Penalties - ALL FOUR WHEELS ACROSS THE WHITE LINE AT THE EDGE OF THE TRACK WILL RESULT IN A NO TIME RECORDED. Judges of fact will be the course controller, chief startline and the IC at post two, three, officials names will be posted on the notice board.

This has the case for a number of years and a few competitors have transgressed on both the inside and outside of Flag Pole

I guess what I really meant was...

If the point of the cone is to indicate that you have gone too far over and are hence 4 wheels off on the inside of the first corner, you are 4 wheels off, and hence no time should be recorded...

I understand the point about the stoppage, but it shouldn't be there (the cone), you are either 4 wheels off or you aren't.... we don't have cones anywhere else *confused*

unless it is impossible to view from the marshalls stand if that is the case 🤔

rob

Remove the offending cone, put big traffic cone on the grass (edge of) adjacent to the apex point of the rumble strip on the left, put another big cone on the grass (edge of) on the inside apex of flagpole hairpin.

If you haven't ploughed into a big cone then you're not on the grass, which means you aren't 4 wheels off? I don't recall the rumble strips being > the width of a car?

Or are things not that simple 😬?