Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Feel like a kangaroo in town.....Help...please

Hey Guys, I hope you can help me with this little issue...

I Broke the throttle cable on my R300, Caterham very kindly brought me out another to the track day. We fitted it and had a wicked day.

On the way home it felt like a Roo had moved into the carbs in town, when going slowly, I am sure you can imagine what I mean.

I have since changed the throttle cable again and this time it's a lot better fitted into the roller barrel carb. (Sorry, but I am not the best with cars....) and the cable is lying where it's supposed to in the carb system.

Well, just took 'The Raspberry' to the gas station in readiness for tomorrow's blat, and THAT Roo is still in the building!

Would adjusting the black square bit, that is on the threaded portion of the cable, which goes into the keeper just below the carb, help with this issue? At this point it is adjusted so that the black square bit is right at the end of the cable, which is where it was on the original cable...

I hope this makes sense Guys, and I hope that you can help me.

Thanks, regards

George

Some of the gear, absolutely no idea... *redface*

1 Assembly Guide reads:

THROTTLE CABLE FITMENT

71 Attach the throttle cable to the linkage on the throttle body by engaging the nipple in the throttle operating lever and then clipping its square shaped black plastic adjuster onto the adjacent bracket. This adjuster can be threaded up and down the cable outer to adjust the throttle pedal position.

72 Pass the other end of the throttle cable through the 22 mm hole in the front of the pedal box and clip the plastic seat into place. The inner cable is fed into the slot on the top of the pedal with the portion of cable protruding past the cable termination located through the hole. The top of the pedal should be gently squeezed with a pair of pliers to capture the cable and prevent it escaping.

In order to obtain a preferred pedal height and achieve adequate cable tension it may be necessary to bend the top of the pedal prior to locating the cable. This is done by inserting a Phillips screwdriver into the top of the pedal, bracing the bottom of the pedal with a block of wood, and gently bending the top of the pedal so as to take up the slack in the cable. Finally use the adjusting mechanism at the throttle body end of the cable to remove any free play.

2 Take the cover off the pedal box and have a good look at all the bits that move as you work the pedal over its full range. Is anything catching or jerky or at a funny angle?

3 Now start her up and check that the engine doesn't do anything funny like hunting or hesitating when you open and close the throttle.

4 Please don't take this the wrong way, but did the change of cable alter the pedal position, and is it possible that the kangaroo behaviour is because your leg is in an unusual position?

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 15 Aug 2013 21:14:48

Jonathan, thanks for your reply.

I can't see anything that's untoward in the pedal box, and have installed the cable the correct way I think.

You may have a point there with the leg position... I don't know, but I will give it a good testing tomorrow on the blat!

I will also get my mate to see what he thinks when he drives it.

there was none of this kangaroo effect before with the original cable, and now the engine seams to run the same as before, very nice! *biggrin*

Thanks again Jonathan

Regards

George

I've had the same problem with my R300 since replacing the throttle cable.

After reading your post I went to investigate further and noticed that there was quite a bit of slack in the cable, noticeable once I removed the pedal box cover. Maybe I fitted it this way, or maybe it has stretched slightly with use.

Initially I thought that I would be smoother on the throttle with the slack, but in fact the opposite seems to be true. I have just removed the slack by screwing the square shaped black plastic adjuster further along the thread, and a quick trip out suggests that all is much better - the kangaroo has departed.

Good luck. *smile*

• Leadership Team

*arrowup*+1 *thumbup* Mine had gradually become worse and at the weekend I moved the pedals so my daughter could drive .... and the kangerooing had improved massively!

With the pedal box cover removed, adjust the square locating piece (that you mentioned) at the roller barrel end to take out any cable slack ... and keep going a little. As you close and open the rollers with the pedal, you should be able to hear the rollers "clonk" as they close, keep adjusting until they don't clonk then go back a little so they clonk again, if you know what I mean! It's important that the closed position is based on the adjusting stop at the roller barrel end and not resting on the cable (which would play havoc with the throttle pot).

Stu.

Stu, Yello & Grim,

Thanks. I will do that adjustment.

The 237 mile trip yesterday showed the little blighted to still be IN!

Thanks, I'll let you know if its sorted.

George

Hey Guys

Sorted !

Went to Caterham Mids, so that they could fit a throttle pedal stop for me... And the nice Technicians grabbed the Roo and extracted it for me.

Sweet.

Thanks for all your help on here. *wavey*

Cheers

George