Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Different Kinds of K-Series Water Pumps?

revilla

Whilst changing the head gasket, just removed the water pump from my K-Series VVC and compared it with the new one I have read for reassembly. They are quite different, see here. The old one has a large cast fitting that the new one is missing. Can I fit the new one in place of the old one or have I got the wrong part? If I used the new one, do I leave the small black plastic cap in place or remove it (it seems very loose so I assume remove it)?

The "large cast fitting" is an 'evaporator'. It is designed to evaporate any drips of coolant that make it past the shaft seal. Coolant degrades the cam belt. You are fine to fit either but you will probably get people telling you that one or the other is best.

Essentially...the evaporator may stop your timing belt degrading due to coolant contamination. As it does this by evaporating small leaks past the shaft seal it could hide the early signs of water pump failure. If your water pump fails and dumps all the coolant on the ground you could quickly cook your engine. If your timing belt fails your engine will smash all the valves into the pistons.