Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil - bargain 5W50 Comma Fully Syn

myothercarsa2cv

Thinking about doing an oil change as it's been a year and a few thousand miles. Mooching around the net, came across a deal on 5L of Comma 5w50 for £19 delivered. I have a standard 1.6K, and looking through the archives there's lots of advice, saying 5w40, 0w40, 5w50, 10w60, 15w40... So I'm guessing the 5w50 will be fine? Or should I stick to the tried and tested 5w40 Syner-G for a few quid more?

Edited to add link to Amazon deal, and to update the title.

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 12 Aug 2013 17:28:40

If anyone else wants a bottle of this, I've got one brand new, unopened and unwanted in my garage. I mistakenly thought it was also the best for the VVC engine, and since it was a bargain price I bought two cans. Turned out the VVC mechanisms rattle like a bag of spanners on fully synthetic, and having switched back to Magnatec 10W40 Semi Synth (which is what those in the know actually recommend for the VVC) everything purrs again. I looked up the costs for posting it Royal Mail and it's about the same as the oil is worth, so collection only - but if anyone is nearby (Loughborough, Leicestershire area) and wants to offer me a few quid for it, let me know.

@SM25T - Yes, some people seem to find it runs fine but I've read others who say the VVC mech lubrication is marginal and for some reason you should avoid fully synthetic (don't ask me what difference it makes) as the VVCs wear rapidly on it. I don't know enough to comment on the wisdom of it. All I can go on is my personal experience. I did an oil change using 5W50 at the start of this year, the VVCs were immediately rougher and over the summer they just got more and more rattly at idle to the point I thought they were on the way out, especially when hot they sounded knackered and its only done 15K. When I read about the 10W40 recommendation I thought what the heck and changed it again - and straight away the VVCs have just gone silent. Sounds just like any other non-VVC now, no more clattering from the top end just purrs and still the same after another couple of thousand miles, so I'll stick with it, which is why I'm wanting to get rid of the spare bottle. I know it is the best stuff for most K Series and I'm not telling anyone else with a VVC what to do. Anyway apologies to MOCA2CV for what appears to be turning into a bit of a thread hijack. It seemed relevant when I started, which was really just to say - bottle of oil going cheap if anyone wants it *smile*

Quoting revilla: 
@SM25T - Yes, some people seem to find it runs fine but I've read others who say the VVC mech lubrication is marginal and for some reason you should avoid fully synthetic (don't ask me what difference it makes) as the VVCs wear rapidly on it. I don't know enough to comment on the wisdom of it. All I can go on is my personal experience. I did an oil change using 5W50 at the start of this year, the VVCs were immediately rougher and over the summer they just got more and more rattly at idle to the point I thought they were on the way out, especially when hot they sounded knackered and its only done 15K. When I read about the 10W40 recommendation I thought what the heck and changed it again - and straight away the VVCs have just gone silent. Sounds just like any other non-VVC now, no more clattering from the top end just purrs and still the same after another couple of thousand miles, so I'll stick with it, which is why I'm wanting to get rid of the spare bottle. I know it is the best stuff for most K Series and I'm not telling anyone else with a VVC what to do. Anyway apologies to MOCA2CV for what appears to be turning into a bit of a thread hijack. It seemed relevant when I started, which was really just to say - bottle of oil going cheap if anyone wants it *smile*
Any opinion from Sir Oilyhands ?

I hardly dare ask him, he has been very patient and helpful with all my questions over head gaskets and fuel injectors over the last few days, I should think he is getting a bit fed up of me and probably wants to go and get some work done. His opinion would of course be most welcome...

Interesting read. If you speak to an oil expert which I dont claim to be they will tell you that a 5w 40 is the oil of choice in a K. Given that the slippery stuff generally stops your engine from going bang then why stint on anything but the best.

If you speak to Chris aka oilman at Opie he will tell you that a 50 weight oil isn't necessary in a K and that your engine will be more responsive and give more power on a 40 weight.

I am a fan of Fukes Titan which is a full ester based synthetic but my 1600 K with 185 bhp is only used on track and as such lives between 3k and 8.5k. The only time that it is driven other than all out is when I am warming the engine up and on cool down laps. I regularly get 100c+ oil temp and have never found the need to go to a 50 weight even in 30+ degrees ambient temperature in France

For general use Comma SynerG 5w 40 is an excellent oil

Bit of a hi jack but suggestions welcome. Over in Sunny Gran Canaria in the summer, 45c is not uncommon. I was able to bring 6x5 ltr of Halfords 5x40 back with me 3 years ago but sadly all gone now. On the island several different brands are available from local oil companies to Shell super price. Am I OK going with any 5x40 or 5x50 or should I be looking for some ISO or other standard?

Dave B