Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Flywheel Locking Tool & Pulley Nut Size

revilla

Can anyone please point me in the right direction for a tool for locking the flywheel on a K-Series (to facilitate removal of the front crank pulley nut)? I'm seeing things like this on eBay but not sure if it as appropriate as some places selling it say that it specifically for the PG2 gearbox.

As it is a bit pricey I don't want to get the wrong thing. I know I could possibly wedge it with a screwdriver or something but I'd like to do it properly or knowing my luck I'll break something.

Does it just bolt on in place of the starter motor - I guess you need to remove the spacer plate too? Any advice welcome.

Also can anyone please tell me the size of the nut on the front crank pulley so I can get the right socket and breaker bar?

Edited by - revilla on 12 Aug 2013 21:15:41

Thanks Mankee I understand now. I guess it will all be obvious as it comes apart but not having done it before I'm just trying to think ahead so I can buy the bits I need but not waste money on bits I don't. And yes don't worry I hadn't forgotten the other belt on the other end but that one sounds like a much simpler job so less questions to ask!

Ian,

Thanks for the offer but I'm OK for the cam locking tool, it was just the crank with that 210Nm Nut that was bothering me! If I'd seen your message a few minutes earlier I might not have pressed the "Buy it Now" button on eBay for a 1/2" drive 22mm socket either! D'oh!

I'll try to make it to Hathern in the tin top if I can, so may see you there anyway.

Just for the record, the Laser 4523 tool in the link above does a great job with the gearbox on ... see here. You can clamp the tool firmly into the starter motor hole using the one stud which engages it squarely into the flywheel teeth, then a stack of M10*35 washers on the other top bolt make absolutely sure it can't move.

PS: The washers in the photo are M10*30 and leave a bit of slack, I tried one M10*35 and it was a nice snug fit but I only had one handy - a pack now on order from eBay, where most of my money goes *smile*

• Leadership Team

The screwdriver trick works ... but bloomin' difficult on your own 😬 I might investigate the locking tools and see whether I could usefully add a plate to make it a simple bolt on jobbie *thumbup*

Stu.

Like Dave I also use the screwdriver on K engines. Works for releasing the pulley bolt and for re tightening if you fit it on the underside.

Again as Dave says its very quick to do. Its very easy for one person and if not you haven't got the screwdriver in the right place.

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 13 Aug 2013 07:52:49