Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure sender

Hello all

I've just become the proud owner of a Supersport and I have a few teething problems to iron out. The car recently had a Stack Dash fitted meaning all the sensors were changed, however the oil pressure sender is leaking and despite best attempts to fix this it is still dripping. Dave Andrews from DVA Power suggested fitting a remote sensor. Has anyone else done this? And where do I get the parts for this? Cheers

• Support Team

I've done this and got all the bits from Think Automotive. They'll probably know exactly what you need but if you search techtalk there is probably a list of parts somewhere.

If you can't get a seal with the sender then it may be that either the thread on the sender or the oil filter housing is damaged so check those as well.

For several reasons, I had to remotely mount my oil pressure sender (a Racetech one) recently to finally cure an oil leak. As Shaun says, check that the thread for the sender in the oil filter adapter bolted to the block. I had an old Metro/214-style one with an M10 thread on top that was damaged, so drilled it out to M12 and used a thread adapter. Still leaked and I ended up changing the whole housing as I noticed a tiny hairline crack in it, which was about £25 from Rimmers.

LMA (http://www.lmaperformance.com/home.html) do a variety of remote oil pressure lines and T-pieces so that you can mount the sender (and early warning switch) away from the vibrating engine. You need to measure the threads at either end and get the right spec hose to fit between the Stack sender and Rover filter housing.

Or Think Auto will know what bits you need, but as I've found with my car, nothing seems to be "standard"!

The oil pressure switch I had proved to have the wrong sealing washer. They have to be a very close fit to the threads i.e. if you can just wind the washer on, that’s seems about right. Some are aluminium but I believe copper is best in this area. Apologies if you have already tried this but sometimes the cheap & easy solutions can cure the problems.