Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma Oil Filter Leak

ChrisC

Hi All

I seem to have lost the power to change an oil filter. I have not change oil in one of my cars for years, in fact I think my last seven (some ten years ago) was the last oil change I did. But this oil filter I recently fitted to my sigma is leaking, and thats never happened to me before.

The process I used to fit the oil filter was as follows

1, put a small amount of clean oil into the filter to prime it.

2, lubricate the seal with some clean oil

3, tighten by hand, clean and tighten again by hand.

I fitted a ford genuine part (from the local dealers) and the part number matched the one coming off the car 1 714 387 (it think from memory) which was not leaking.

There are pictures on the oil filter showing a "service tool" to tighten the filter 3/4 turn from the point the filter touches the block, is that needed? Have I not got the filter tight enough? If I need a "service tool" any clue / part number of what I should get will be helpful.

Chris.

I mark the filter so I can see when it is 3/4 turn tightened.

No need for a special tool, but I find it lot easier if I use one of those grippy rubber sheets made to help open jam jars *smile*

Duncan

You dont need to prime the filter with oil. The flow from the oil pump is substantial and will fill the filter in about 2 seconds! Having oily hands/filter makes it much more likely that bits of carp will get stuck to mating surfaces or get insde the filter. Some do lightly lubricate the rubber seal but must admit I never do. Lubricating the seal makes it easy to over-tighten the filter so that its a s*d to get off next year. You can get a filter wrench of the right size from any motor factor. Its worth the investment as you can then easilly judge how tight you have gone. Just needs nipping.

The leak is almost certainly caused by somthing caught in the seal OR the seal has been damaged.

Peter

Sorry Peter I disagree with your approach. The seal can displace if dry and anything stopping oil flow can cause damage - every little helps. That said the cartridge filters on VW engines cannot easily be 'wetted' with oil. I do lubricated the o rings.

Chris - you're doing it right and how my dad taught me 35 years ago. As suggested try tightening when hot with a grippy rubber glove on.

If it still leaks I'd a) check out the casting for crack and b) fit another filter just in case it is damaged in some way ( though you may have to drop the oil out).

Regards

Ian

Hi Chris.

Very frustrating. I had this issue on my zetec earlier this year having filled the filter, and oiled the rubber sealing gasket. I tried tightening more with a filter wrench etc but it would not seal totally. Eventually fitted a new filter in the same way and hand tightened - no leaks. I could not see any fault in the first filter but there was obviously a problem. No need to drain the oil out- or there wasn't with the zetec. Good luck *wavey*

Hi all

first thanks for all you replies.

There was no problem before I changed the oil before the track day and I only did it hand tight, so I am hoping a cracked block is not the cause.

The oil filter was supplied not in a box, but with just a thin plastic cover over the top/seal, so it could have easily been dropped before I purchased it, I know it was not dropped after.

For the cost of an oil filter I will just swap it again, only lubing the seal and putting the 3/4 turn from the touching point. Being Sunday, this means I will have to wait until Monday evening for the next attempt, fingers crossed.

Chris.

• Area Representative

Hi

I hope the following may help. In the olden days when I had a Spitfire (no giggling at the back, please) I had the same problem. It turned out that the rubber sealing ring was too thin. It could be seen to stand a little proud of the filter before being fitted but when I tightened it the metal part of the filter was seated on the block and it leaked. I replaced it with the seal from the old filter and all was well.

Good luck in finding a solution.

Ivan

• 5 weeks later...