Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adjusting for short driver

Ads7

SWMBO has decided she would like to have a drive in the 7 *eek*. The problem is that she's quite short at 5ft.

With the seat shoved as far forward on the runners she can only just touch the clutch. She reckons she needs another 3" forwards and 2" higher. I have tried to explain that there isn't an easy way to do this without moving pedals and putting spacers under the runner, which will ruin my driving position. She won't take this as an answer 😬

So POBC have you got any suggestions on how she can have a drive. And possibly go out on track at Llandow in September *eek* 😳

Adam

Hello,

I have a similar problem with Mrs. SWMBO (4'11" or abouts). We've got the leather seat option and I've got the pedals adjusted back as far as possible for me to drive and with the Mrs. in she has a sculpted block of ethafoam suitably fettled with a thickness of about 75mm!! Been okay for the odd track day and DHD.

Main problem is lack of contact with the small of the back, perhaps a 2-part foam insert is the way to go! - or get her own 7

RH7

Edited by - RH7 Lowflyer on 4 Aug 2013 06:53:04

As above, two thick hard foam cushions, one under and one behind. In my experience you can get the leg position OK on the clutch for a 5' 2" driver with the seat right forward, the pedals in the closest position and a 50mm cushion.

The driving position in the 7 is so different that it's hard for new drivers to get it right. It's not uncommon for them to be happier in a longer position after a few miles. Any chance of practicing somewhere private to make it easier to get started?

Jonathan

My other half is 5'3" and I made her a seat cushion out of some foam, cut it to shape and then covered it in duct tape. It works a treat as it means we can leave the seat in my usual position, and just put the cushion for her (which is a good thing since the seat runners don't work that well!).

*arrowup* *thumbup* same here, my other half is 5'2", we bought a couple of cheap camping mats and cut them up to build up two bits of foam covered in duct tape, one that she sits on and the other goes behind her back. This works perfectly as it requires minimal adjustment of the belts and we can relatively quickly swap seats whilst out and about.

It's also a pretty common method used by sprinters in the L7 Club speed series who double drive.

Cheers

Rob

Adam,

I made 2 cushions for my daughter so she could drive at Dunsfold. I had a chat with IT guys at work and got some 2 and 3" thick high density foam from a computer shipping box.

A serrated bread knife is a great tool to cut the foam with and as its for SWMBO, she can't say no really *nono*

Phil

Quoting RH7 Lowflyer: 
Hello,

The ethafoam I refer to is commonly used for transit packaging items of equipment and can be purchased online. It's a closed cell dense foam also often used for kayak buoyancy.

RH7.

*thumbup* that's great will have look online for it.

Adam

I took the seat runners off my car and drilled out the next position on the adjustment which allows for an additional 2" travel on the seat. Still not enough for my mrs who is just over 5 ft. *cool*

A slightly wackier suggestion, my dad used to have blocks made to fit his pedals on his old hillman as he is also a shorta**e...

After quite a bit of playing we have pedal positions that work for me 6'2 and my 5'5 wife.

I had to get the runners moved so that the seat would go as far forward as possible (before the cockpit narrows) with the stops on the runners where they are this means the seat doesn't quite go all the way back, but with this and the pedal adjustments we can both drive just by moving the seat.

Both driving positions are slightly compromised but perfectly acceptable.

I then had a clutch stop fitted to stop me trying to stretch the mechanism/cable by almost a foot!