Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery charging query

BruceW

Hmmmmm!

I downloaded the following from the Banner Batteries website today:

CHARGING TECHNOLOGY

Ideally, an electronic charging device should be used (Banner Acctiva and Selectiva or Banner Accugard). These devices complete charging automatically. Follow the device operating instructions!

In general, the following applies:

Remove the battery from the vehicle or disconnect the battery cables (disconnect the negative terminal first!). WARNING! Without power, data in the vehicle computer, radio, etc. can be erased!

Connect the positive terminal of the battery with the positive output of the charging device. Then repeat for the negative terminal.

Only switch on the charging device following battery connection and only switch off after charging.

Charged power: max. 1/10 in amperes of battery capacity.

Interrupt charging at acid temperatures of over 55°C.

Following charging, check the electrolyte level, and if necessary, top up with distilled water (to the mark or 1 cm above the plates).

Ensure good ambient ventilation! An explosive hydrogen/oxygen gas mixture is created during charging. Smoking, open flames and sparks (e.g. due to a short circuit) are strictly forbidden!

WARNING! Only use approved starting cables. The electrolyte level is frequently very low due to the misuse of the battery. This must be corrected before charging (to the mark or 1 cm above the plates).

END

I spoke to the "Electical" guys at work today and apparently the voltage regulator that gives a constant voltage while the alternator is rotating fast enough to do its good work of charging the battery while the engine is running, does not take at all kindly to having strange voltages and other electrical magic 'stuff' passing through it in the opposite direction, when connected to an external charger. Apparently the voltage regularor is full to the brim with diodes and transistors, and the like. *eek*

Cheers,

Tony

Tony, useful info.

HOWEVER they put this info in to cover their 🙆🏻 if there is an accident & someone like "claims direct" gets hold of it *eek* 😳 ☹️ 🙆🏻 *thumbdown* *mad*, as you well know.

As for charging, (i'm not teaching you to suck eggs or anything *smile*) but diodes are the equivalent of a one way valve, they allow a "electric supply" to travel one way only. Therefore it is not good practise, HOWEVER it does no harm and "WORKS" *cool* *idea*

So all in all, IMHO, IT DOES NO HARM *thumbup* *wink* and most of all it works and it works for what must be 100's if not 1000's of people in our position *cool* be it cars or motorbikes!

Re-read the tread and make your own mind up *confused* 😬 *thumbup*, if nothing else it at least shows that "WE" can have a serious debate without it getting personal 😬 *wink*

Martin

MW 51 CAT

I'll drink to that Martin 😬

I was just thinking that today - good practical debate which hopefully has made people aware of some of the issues involved.

Cheers,

Tony

Waiting for my BRG SV kit 😬 Is there any other colour?

(Sumo Version?) - Only another 10 weeks to go!

A good debate, take note Manufacturers of batteries, chargers and Caterhams etal.....

We, the customers, have a delema (sp?). We NEED to not interupt our cars electronics, idealy not have the chore of removing a battery and being able to charge said battery safely, without disconnecting.

I will do just that, WITH MY ELECTRONIC charger but I do hear the various points raised for not doing so !!

What else can I do ?

Airflow Conditioner is the solution to all you winter battery blues. Cost less then £30 so its cheaper than a new battery. fit a fly lead with a 'in line' fuse with a connector into the battery and have the connector in the car. I use a RC car battery connector (and have for a couple of year with my Lotus Exige) cost from Maplin 99p. With this you can Condition you battery with the Bonnet on, doors closed (optional) and car cover on (optional) no problems.

My Lotus Exige before the Airflow would be dead after two weeks, no problem however long you leave the car with the Airflow fitted. The same is true with the Caterham.

The previous owner of my Caterham replaced the Battery every year, I have the receipts, at a cost of about £50 a year. I he had fitted an Airflow over winter then it would have been on the original.

If you dont want Battery Blues buy an Airflow Conditioner.

Chris...

H15 SVN Get It!

PS I am not paid, or employed by Airflow, just want you lot to stop bumping up Banner Battries profits.