Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Overheating in traffic... (Sigma 140 - Fan not coming on?)

FramerateUK

While I'm sure this might be a case of "they all do that, sir", we spent yesterday driving up the M5/M6 and were stuck in a lot of heavy traffic, in a lot of heat in our Sigma 140.

At one point the temp gauge was going as far as it would to the right, past the 120 degree mark! I managed to get it to drop a little by turning the heater on and putting the fans on full.It was fine when moving, but rose quite consistently when stopped in traffic as there was no air getting through the radiator.

Everything seemed ok, and the car showed no problems, but the high reading on the gauge was a bit of a worry. Should we be concerned? It's been ok today and we've not been in much traffic. Is there anything we should be doing when we get back from our trip?

EDIT: I'm suspecting our radiator fan should be kicking in but isn't. It was rather difficult to check this at the side of the M6....possibly a knackered sensor?

Edited by - framerateuk on 27 Jul 2013 16:37:35

Edited by - framerateuk on 27 Jul 2013 18:00:23

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Yes, you need to sort this out. If the fan isn't cutting in by itself then short the wires to and from the sensor to check that the fan then starts and everything else is working.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 27 Jul 2013 17:07:21

Thanks Jonathan,

Do you know where the sensor is? There's a connector near the fan itself but there's no sensor to be seen. The supersport has a different fan and rad compared to the 125.

Non-M25Traveller... we're driving to Scotland in one day. A/B roads were never an option.

Edited by - FramerateUK on 27 Jul 2013 17:22:58

I bet it's relay. They're behind the fuses, under the passenger side dash. There are 5 I think with a bigger one in the middle. Check passenger footwell to see if its loose in there first. You would be about the 10th person I know that this has happens to. Including me.

Jez

Thanks very much for all the replies. I'll have a proper look in the morning when we've got some more light and the midges have disappeared!

It seems likely it's something loose as we've not had any problems like this before. When we hired a Sigma 125 last year the temp rose a lot in traffic, but until today ours has been very solid.

I'll let you know how we get on :)

Check the connection between the fan itself and the chassis / engine harness. Are the terminals all correctly located in the plastic plugs? Have terminals been pushed out the rear of the plugs when the two halves have been pushed together? Have the plugs been left disconnected for some reason (radiator removed and forgot to re-connect the fan!!)?

There is no separate sensor for the fan, it's controlled by the ECU water temp sensor and then activated via the relay. Also check the fuse.

Regards

SKC

I had an issue on the way back from the IOM with my Sigma 150, with the help of some fellow 7'ers it was decided that the relay had worked it's way loose or had muck on the contacts on the terminals - once it was removed and confirmed to be working in another 7, all was well again.

I'd quite like a fan mod, so I have more control, but as Jason and SKC point out, the sensor is the ECU, so not sure of the best route to "do" the mod (other than fused wire from battery to a switch and then off to the fan - which seems altogether too simple )

Mike

Quoting SKC: 
There is no separate sensor for the fan, it's controlled by the ECU water temp sensor
How can you test the fan comes on correctly with this set-up? Could you short the lead to the sensor or do you need to insert an appropriate resistor?

Or is there a test mode?

Thanks

Jonathan

The ECU sends a negative feed to the relay when it wants the fan on. This flicks the relay on which sends a positive feed to the fan. The negative for the fan comes from the bunch of negatives bolted to the chassis under the nosecone.

The ON/OFF temps are set in the ECU so you will need the interface from SBD to access this. When the fan is supposed to be on it pops up on the laptop.

Thats how it works on mine anyway..

Jason

Well thanks for the advice everyone!

I gave the relays a good push to make sure they were all in, and I cleaned up the fan cables. We gave it a quick test today and the fan was most definitely coming on around 90 degrees until it cooled the car back down. Admittedly it wasn't quite so hot but at least it seems to be working :)

Thanks again!

The relays do seem to be a weak point with loss through vibration common. Worth giving them a push once in a while. I've also tried to tape them in, but with limited improvement.

Glad it's up and running again *thumbup*

Jez

Quoting TobyCoulson: 
If you haven't done it already might be worth upgrading to a larger rad and fan. I installed the radtec one on my Sigma 150 when the old plastic factory one gave up the ghost. Had no issues with it since.

Thankfully the 140 already has a larger fan and rad than the standard 125. I'll be keeping my eye on this though, and giving those relays a push every now and then!