Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dashboard switches - not illuminated

Got an R300 Superlight 2002.

Some of the dashboard switches are not illuminated at night when I have the headlights switched on.

The only one's affected are those to the left (passenger side). Specifically the heater fan, heated windscreen, rear fog, hazards & brake fail switches. All of the other gauges and switches are illuminated.

Could it be a fuse or bad earth, or is this normal ?

Any ideas what to look at would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

CycleSi

Quoting sjmmarsh: 
That is normal. It is only the headlight, wiper and washer switches that light up. I think the logic is that these are the ones that are most often used. The others are seldom used on the move.

Steve

Along with the three above, on my 2008 car (R400D with standard dash), the fan switch also lights up. Maybe CC have changed that since 2002?

PS: Welcome to Blatchat.

JV

• 11 months later...
I believe there must be a visual indication that the fog light is on. The switch lighting up is one way of doing that, but a separate tell-tale light is also suitable. In my case, my Race Technologies Dash 2 has a fog light indicator (which also comes on when I'm using the fog light as a high-level brake light, but never mind that...)

• 1 month later...
Driving my 2007 Seven at night the other day I was reminded how much irritates; not only the random lighting of some switches but the counter-intuitive 'dip switch' and the stupidly bright shift lights. On my car and presumably lots of others there is a green light which stays on constantly at less than 3500rpm- the 'econometer' or whatever- which is stupidly bright, if not as bad as the main beam light , which is stronger than the bloody headlights and which I have now taped over as it was so distracting . Little things but really.....

Good morning. I don't like to think of you suffering:

Quoting john aston: 
Driving my 2007 Seven at night the other day I was reminded how much irritates; not only the random lighting of some switches
Is it possible to fit bulbs to the unilluminated switches?Quoting john aston: 
but the counter-intuitive 'dip switch',,,
My dip switch is a toggle switch which wouldn't be too hard to... invert.Quoting john aston: 
... and the stupidly bright shift lights.
Factory or an added module?Quoting john aston: 
On my car and presumably lots of others there is a green light which stays on constantly at less than 3500rpm- the 'econometer' or whatever- which is stupidly bright...
Remove that bulb?Quoting john aston: 
if not as bad as the main beam light , which is stronger than the bloody headlights and which I have now taped over as it was so distracting...
The Imp and derivatives had little eyelids that you could roll over to dim the indicator. I wonder if they are available. Or weaker bulbs. Or variable dimming...

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 4 Sep 2014 08:11:55

Quoting Roger Ford: 
Is that the ACES shift lights? If you have the full unit, you can adjust the brightness. Not sure if that feature is removed from the cut-down Caterham version. And is the green "Econometer" light also on the ACES? If so you can program the revs where that comes on too.

My Caterham fit ACES unit is fully adjustable for brightness and shift point illumination from the control unit buried under the dash next to the heater valve control.

Edited by - Aerobod on 5 Sep 2014 05:53:51