Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Series cooling checks.... 1800K Supersport

SUPERLIGHT91

I want to check through the cooling system on my brother's K'series 1800.

- Car is injected 1.8 K-series EU2 1999, wet sump

- Car has silicon hose kit throughout

- Car has 3 year old race alloy radiator with single fan

- Car is running regular anti-freeze / water mix

- Car has Caterham's in-line passenger heater matrix in-line

- Car has exhaust manifold wrapped in an attempt to reduce under-bonnet temp, exhaust is de-cat 4:1 variety

Car does run hot and take a while to cool after a run (and yes suffers the K-click after every run - but that's not for here).

Specifically I want to start checking for air blocks, water pump issues, thermostat effectiveness, anything to help reduce temperature in traffic. Fan manual override circuit/switch would be a good idea too.

Water pump appears a simple part, and I'd have thought they rarely fail? (especially with only 10,000 miles on the clock that the car in questions has covered from new). Caterham K Water Pump

I've read a few other pointers such as:

- thermostat & location in-line

- fan switch

- drilling hole in top of therostat to let air-locks out

any/all advice appreciated.

A gentle spin tonight, fan appeared to kick in just over 80 degrees, didn't feel particularly hot, but click occured when I got home as usual.

I put the multimeter on the oringal small connector wire to the starter (currently connected as the 'trigger' to the 30A relay), and that registered a good 12.6v when the push start was activated.

I checked the master (ECU) fuse,found it fitted with a 25A unit, so have replaced that with a 30A unit, still clicking - will try again in the morning.

M

after a weekend of going through all the electrical connections on the car, fuses, cleaning, checking, re-routing cables neatly, servicing the MFRU etc. - fan and temp. appears to be behaving propertly AND even the K-CLICK HAS GONE (for the first time in 3 years after every run!) result (for now) - I could still do with a spare MFRU or to figure out the replacement relay wiring for this 99 car..... but getting there, have made some progress at last.