Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heat Gun choice

Paul Deslandes

My trusty old heat gun has finally given up the ghost after more than 25 years so I need a replacement. Machine Mart offer quite a selection so interested to see if anyone has any experiences, good or bad. The Evolution looks good with a heat range from 50 to 600 degC as does the Black and Decker. I'm sure the DeWalt is excellent but is it worth paying almost twice the price? They all seem to weigh about 0.8kg.

Thanks

Ah, hadn't noticed the digital display (which seems a tad pointless - don't you generally want quite hot, hot or very hot?). Beware that the ebay one at least doesn't appear to come with a "curl around" end, if you're used to using that for heat shrink. Personally I find a gas micro-blowtorch much more convenient for heat shrink than a big unwieldy heat gun.

the extra nozzles would be knew to me as my old one was either 'on' or 'off with a 1300W element with no extra bits or settings. When using it on heat-shrink I just waved it carefully around until it shrunk reasonably evenly. Some means of protecting the surroundings might be useful although I never had a problem with cooking stuff.

The cheaper DeWalt is available from lots of outlets on line so it may be that its not yet discontinued.