Click here if you are having website access problems ×

removing lower wishbone spherical bearings

tiddy1

My lower wishbone spherical bearing is pretty knackered and so I was trying to get it out last night but struggling. I assume that once the clip is out its is better to try and make up an extractor (two sockets and a long bolt or something similar) rather than just trying to force it out with a variable impact precussion device (hammer). I don't really want to have to take the wishbone off

Also are there any good alternatives to the caterham part at £35?

It's a lot easier with the wishbone off the car IMO, then you can put it in a vice and press it out using a large socket and a smaller socket (or similar). It might need some heat though if it's been in there for a long time.

Having replaced mine recently I would say that you should give it a go using the home made extractor setup, as you describe, before taking it off the car as its certainly possible. I shopped around for a cheaper bearing than CC but ended up with them after my local bearing factor wanted more than twice the CC Price. Getting the clip out can be a bit of a bu99er so make sure you get a new one with the bearing as you're likely to knacker the original.