Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alternator pulley securing nut-removal

richard bradbury

Changing my crank and alternator pulleys for ally ones and would appreciate any tips on removing the large nut on the alternator. Obviously as you apply torque the pulley rotates and I need away of stopping this without damaging the fan blades.

I suspect I shall have to remove the alternator from the car and clamp the pulley, unless there is an easier way.

Hi Richard.

Not sure if the size would work out but you could try a cheap strap wrench to hold the pulley, like the ones used to undo oil filters. Either that or a large jubilee clip around the pulley clamping a screwdriver to hold it still.

You may still have to gently lever off the pulley once the nut's undone - can't remember whether its keyed on but I suspect it is.

Paul

• Area Representative

The traditional way of doing this is to run an old fan belt around the pulley, pull the two 'tails' together and clamp them tightly together with a pair of Mole grips, which will provide some handy leverage. It shouldn't slip once clamped but if it does, a little movement of the grip handles in towards the pully centre will make an effective band brake. It worked for me *thumbup*

Cruds