Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

After heating question, we move on to cooling

Grandmaster Flatcap

So I took her for her first (with me anyways) MOT this am - and passed hurrah!

She was sat running at fast idle longer than she should have been as we were looking for the optimal rev speed to pass the emissions test, if you see what I mean, when suddenly steam from the louvres and about a pint of coolant p1$$ed out the bottom. Closer inspection revealed the temp was up and the fan had not cut in. I borrowed a screw driver and removed the nose. A firm tap with the screwdriver handle on the thermostat / swith (correct name? screwed into back of radiator next to top hose with two fine wires trailing - K-series) woke the fan up.

So I'm thinking either loose wire or dodgy thermostat / switch. Any other possibilities to consider? Is it worth replacing the unit to be on the safe side or should I clean and tighten the electrical contacts first? (rather not waste money and replace a unit for no reason, but equally don't want to boil the engine on a spirited run in the 🙆🏻 end of nowhere.

How about:

Remake the connections

Test it asap (not too difficult at the moment)

Work out in advance how to jury-rig the fan on manually if needed

Then if it fails again replace the switch

Jonathan

Amended to say "switch"

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 20 Jul 2013 11:21:54

if your electrical skills can stretch to it, or you know someone who can help, its worth adding a relay to the switch/fan circuitry to prevent the switch contacts arcing as the fan switches on and off. I got through several switches before making this mod many years ago and haven't had a problem since.

Its a simple enough thing to do and I'd be happy to post a few notes/diagrams if it would help.

Paul