Click here if you are having website access problems ×

heater question (yes, during a "heatwave")

Grandmaster Flatcap

Follwing on from the To hot to Blat? topic here, I've had a nosey around my car this lunch time.

I have a heater (don't know if there are differnt esigns out there, so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious) that has two vertical vents under the dash above the transmission tunnel. These are closed. There are two more holes (not vents, so can't be closed) in the bottom of the heater, facing down towards driver / passenger feet. I believe this is the source of the hot air flow that cooked my left foot yesterday.

So, when the heater control is set to off, should the heater matrix be completely isolated from the coolant circuit, and therefore the air blowing the the heater and onto my foot be ambient because it is flowing over ambient water (allowing for some increase due to heat conducting from engine bay) OR is the water in the heater always part of the coolant circuit, and only restricted by some degree by closing the control?

Also, if the heater matrix is always part of the coolant circuit, what would be the result in blanking the heater air intake? Would this just stop air flow and therefore not fry my feet, or would it cause damage to the heater as temps rise?

• Leadership Team

Hi Nigel

The heater should be isolated if you have the control pushed all the way into the bulkhead. Have a look under the bonnet and check that the cable pushes the lever on the heater bypass all the way to offside of the car. The cable clamp sometimes works loose. *cool*

Garry

Had a look at it seems the arm/lever on the heater is not returning fully to the stop when the heater control is closed, so I'll have a go at adjusting.

However, if I'm reading the build manual correctly, I think the hoses are connected the wrong way round. Shouldn't the hoes -> the radiator be connected at the bottom heater outlet?

here

If I'm right, and this is plumbed wrong, would this also result in the heater matrix getting hot when the control is closed?

It will make no difference what so ever.

I’ve had mine connected the wrong way around for a few years now. You could argue that hot water should enter through the top connection and exit through the lower connection.

• Area Representative

Nigel

Connection of pipes shouldn't matter. FYI my water rail is connected to top heater hose as yours. Blatted this week and heater matrix cool but air drawn though heater still feels a little warm as ambient temperature is high.

Just make sure valve is fully off and if still too hot seal heater outlet with gaffer tape, but doubt this will be necessary if heater valve is properly off.