Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hmm what to do

jelley1970

Looking for people thoughts and experiences really,

I currently have a R400 K series used mainly on the track,

Today I test drove a R500 Duractec with Sequential Box,

I really enjoyed the car and loved the gearbox, I was on the road so couldn't really give it the beans, but i'm sure its there.....

Now my K series engine is very Zingy, light on the throttle which seems to make the car feel very light and responsive etc.

After driving the Duractec i'm not sure if its me but I kept thinking the front end was heavier on turn etc and the throttle response seemed like I needed to be firmer.

Im thinking the R500 will be great on the track, but I have a little niggle thinking I may miss the characteristics of the K series, but then I think once I get the R500 on the track with the Sequential box I just wont look back.

Anyone else been through something like this???

Cheers

Russ

How much do you stand to lose on the transaction?

Could you put the money to better (automotive) use?

What could you upgrade for the same price? - I'm inclined to agree about the idea of upgrading your current car to a sequential box.

Do you care about resale value?

What's the servicing like on a R500D? Does it need the same 10,000 'refresh' as the R500K?

• Leadership Team

Hi Russ,

I have an R300 spec duratec in my car and recently had a chance to do a back to back comparison with a K Series SLR of similar power output.

They both go quickly but deliver the power in very different ways as you describe - acceleration and top end pretty similar, but feel very different. The SLR was very light on the throttle and felt nippier than mine which actually felt sluggish by comparison *eek*

Obviously the R500 will have a lot more power but you will have to get to the top of the rev range to release it. I guess your reservation is about how it gets there?

Suspect the sequential box on your K may be the best solution?

Whatever you decide - enjoy it!! *wavey*

The R500D has the same crispy throttle response as the R400K with an R500 flywheel. In fact the two engines feels almost the same. IMO that is. Of course the R500 has a lot more power and torque, but the crispyness is the same.