Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Greasing UJ nipples on propshaft; advice needed

Jonathan Kay

Hi Jonathan, If the nipple head is damaged or rusted it will not seal very well.

The grease gun head has a seal inside and if damaged it also wont seal, get some one to help you by pushing the head onto the nipple hard and pump at the same time.

once it gets a bit of pressure it some times seals, if not change the nipple and grease gun head.

If its not been greased for a long time the grease could be hard in the UJ, remove the nipple and poke out old grease with some wire.

Chris.

End cap on coupler was too tight. Backing it off means that I can now clip onto the nipple, and release by tilting and pulling. I've set it so that it's tight on as feels sensible.

Balls in the nipples lift nicely when probed.

So I've pumped the grease in until it starts coming out of the end of the coupler. If I then lift the ball I get a backflow of clean grease. But I don't see any grease appearing elsewhere around the assembly... what next?

Thanks

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 18 Jul 2013 08:46:20

Right ho! Well, if the grease is going into the joint, which it sounds as though it is, then it'll work its way around to where it needs to be as the UJ is flexed. If you keep on pumping in grease, it pushes the seals out which are then unseated and probably don't keep the grit out afterwards. I usually keep pumping until old grease just starts to ooze from the seals without them actually being pushed out. The grease always tends to come out of one place rather than uniformly all round. Bear in mind that, unless the propshaft is severely out of line, the joints aren't flexing much anyway.

You should get clean grease out of all the seals before you could consider the joint correctly regreased.

It can be a problem when the new stuff takes the path of least resistance, but without seeing the old stuff out of the joint you cannot be sure the whole of it is getting the benefit of the new stuff.