Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Riveting poppers

TheManAlive

When i built my car I put the poppers on with a standard Riveter. At the time I did not realise, but the nose of the riveter was too broad to fit into the opening of the popper. As such, some of them are loose.

I have purchased some of directional poppers form Soft Bits to keep the tonneau on when I am driving and am now looking to replace the poppers on the car. What is the trick to getting the riveter to work properly? Is it a case of finding one with a smaller fitting or is there a trick to it?

Thanks

Brilliant. Why didn't I think of that! Doh. I'll be rummaging for an M2 nut or some small washers later.

I blame the heat - I know its hot in the UK right now, but here in Cyprus the garage hasn't been below 33 degrees for the last few weeks and it makes even the simplest jobs a test of endurance!

Make sure you use countersunk pop rivets as well.

Now, anyone know how I can replace the popper base that lives behind the side impact bar without removing the side impact bar? (Which I don't want to do because it was a pig to fit). I'd say there was about an inch and a half of clearance

Getting the old base off isn't a problem, it's already fallen off. It's pop riveting a new one on when you can't get the riveter in there that's the issue. JK sent me a link to someone doing something similar with bent rivets and a wedge-shaped spacer, so I'll give that a try.