Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Is it ok to top up with different type engine oils (Castrol MAgnatec 10W-40 and Edge Pro 5W-30)

glasgow

Just changed the engine oil for my 2003 K series with Castrol Magnatec 10W-40. Would like to take a 1L bottle for emergency top up in a long trip. Found in my garage a bottle of Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III 5W-30 which i don't need it anymore. Is it ok to use it for top up please?

Thank you

Ahmed

Ahmed the Magnatec is a part synthetic oil, the Edge is a fully synthetic oil. Convenional wisdom is they should not be mixed, probably wouldn't do any harm but if there are two arguments which do you feel comfortable with

1 if you dont mix the oils you can only get the performance you are used to, so engine is fine no damage

2, if you mix oils it will probably be fine however there is an outside chance it may damage your engine

for the sake of £25 quid or so you can guarantee scenario 1 , you can answer your own question 😬

Tim

Thank you folks for your views. I will just get the same type... Don't want to risk Scenario 2 😬

for the sake of £25 quid or so you can guarantee scenario 1

Errm, I was planning of just taking 1L ... Tim, are you suggesting taking 4L when touring?

yep sorry quite correct I looked at Magnatec 10w-40 L *redface* still wouldnt mix two oils with different viscosities and possibly different additives, especialy as one is also a Long life.

as I said probably OK but why take the risk

Tim

Ahmed, no just picked an expensive source 😬 I carry 2.5l but just because I had a handy 2.5 litre poly bottle, which reminds me I think it has started leaking may need a new one. I always keep oil bottle in a decent poly bag with clip seal just in case. I guess you know exactly how much you top up per 1000K just take what you will need,

Tim

Quoting tbird: 
I guess you know exactly how much you top up per 1000K

Tim

Errmmm, 10K miles over 3 years, never needed top up. Oil always on the max level... Well, that oil level stick is not that accurate may be *confused*

A

OK so don't need to carry any, 1 ltr plenty if it makes you feel happy 😬, if you are just driving fairly steadily no reason it should use oil, Mine uses virtualy none unless I am being a hooligan then she spits some into the catch tank,

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 9 Jul 2013 01:05:15