Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Prop shaft failure ! ! ! !

Nigel Riches

So in the collected wisdom of the learned brotherhood, has anyone had, or know of a Caterham supplied prop shaft letting go, flailing around and generally causing havoc and mayhem, possibly causing injury to someone in the car?

Just a general question, trying to build up some background information, as if I continue on my engine change program I will need to install a propshaft restraint hoop in the tunnel, 150 mm rearward of the front U J, so the flailing shaft can't (1) contact the road, (not likely as my old 1982 car is enclosed underneath) & (2) can't contact persons in the vehicle.

Another question here is......prop shaft in a road car (mine) would start to make some awful noises and vibration before throwing in the towel, would this not send a message to me saying "something wrong down here, quit driving NOW", well yes it would, but to some of the pond life that are at large on the roads here it wouldn't register, ére didja éar tha new funky bass and vibro at max chat? BOOOM, and off into the scenery.

Regards Nigel.

I know of one that that let go and I believe it is now used as an award at one of the local area meeting's Christmas dinner, don't know the story behind it though.....

When I had my 1993 chassis repowdercoated by Arch I got them to add 2 retaining hoops along the tunnel for that just-in-case scenario...

A few years ago the front UJ in a high-power VX let go at Llandow in a big way, ripping through the tunnel but fortunately only bruising the driver. If he hadn't had a bag seat which kept his thigh away from the sides of the tunnel though... *eek*

The UJ in my old car failed on the road. It did make some awful noises and vibration which did send a message to me saying "something wrong down here, quit driving NOW". Well "quit driving in a couple of hundred yards when you've reached your destination" anyway.

I had the front UJ in a series 4 Lotus 7 fail at around 90mph on the M4 back in 1971. The car had run faultlessly from Switzerland then a few miles from Bath there was a load of vibration, a terrific bang and flames came out of the top of the centre console.

Whole car went up in flames very quickly. (the flailing prop severed the main fuel line)

I was told by the 'crash inspector' that it was lucky I was travelling at a reasonable speed and that the prop had disentegrated as it was flailing around and not 'pole-vaulted' the car.

Lotus said that it was very unusual for a UJ to let go.

So, yes, a hoop is an excellent idea...

One failed here on a 250-hp spec Duratec car five years ago. A good deal of luck was involved, I believe.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn384/BBL-Sean/forum_photos/Stokes_prop_fail_zpsde14346a.jpg

Quoting Aeroscreens: 
I know of one that that let go and I believe it is now used as an award at one of the local area meeting's Christmas dinner, don't know the story behind it though.....

When I had my 1993 chassis repowdercoated by Arch I got them to add 2 retaining hoops along the tunnel for that just-in-case scenario...

That would be Peter T's shaft 😳, it let go just after a rolling road session. He was ok, but it smashed a kevlar seat and wrapped it's self around the hand brake cable. Thus bring him to a quick stop 😳, it did look nasty but he was ok *thumbup*.

Quoting Doug Phillips: 
Quoting Aeroscreens: 

That would be Peter T's shaft 😳, it let go just after a rolling road session. He was ok, but it smashed a kevlar seat and wrapped it's self around the hand brake cable. Thus bring him to a quick stop 😳, it did look nasty but he was ok *thumbup*.

If I remember correctly, Peters propshaft was refurbished by a well known company, but not a "direct from Caterham" prop.

Thanks for the information good fellows.

I was intrigued with the Caterham R500 only item, but will have to do some poking about in the tunnel to see if there is anything of any substance to fit it to, however I could manufacture a bespoke restraint plate for my old 1982 car, but it's only going to be as good as that to which it's mounted, not much strength in ali sheet and some light gauge steel tubes.

Aeroscreens, could you pm me a picture of the hoops from Arch Motors, would be most appreciated.

Anyway, onwards in the battle with beaurocracy, cheers Nigel

I've seen a prop shaft where the splined coupling into the back of the gear box has opened up like a banana. Fortunately it was on the start line so hadn't started rotating much. If this had happened at speed, not only would the prop have been flailing around but so would the coupling on the front of the UJ *eek*. IMHO containment needs to extend further forward than just the front UJ.

All too horrible to contemplate.

Mag 7s test day at Brands Hatch earlier this year a carbon prop centre tube was laying in the middle of the track just exiting clearways then the gearbox end yoke near the start line then a well known car further along at a stand still, Red flaged until parts collected, No damage to car though as tube departed from the yokes fairly cleanly

Hi Elie, thanks for your contribution, however I know the NZ Low Volume Vehicle Authority would not allow such a construction. The specification for hoop is, 50mm wide x 5mm thick, or a tubular section material 22mm square, 3mm thick, in a loop around the prop shaft in such a way to stop the shaft from contacting the vehicle floor or the road.

Aeroscreens thank you also, I take it your car has an open transmission tunnel, where as older cars like mine are enclosed, by the floor panel.

Regards Nigel.