Click here if you are having website access problems ×

URGENT help needed with engine trouble for trackday tomorrow!

HeMan

Hello, if anyone can help I would be most grateful.

I have a 1.8 K-series that has been DVA tuned to 188bhp in a 2006 SV Roadsport.

Just drove 2 hours to Bedford for a trackday in the morning and stopped 5 minutes away from hotel to fill up. Once I started it again it was rough at idle and when I pulled away it seemed very rough, like its only firing on 3! If I got the revs up the 4th cylinder seemed to fire up and it was fine but as soon as I dropped the revs it dropped out again. A few days ago I had a HT lead off to check I had a socket that would fit the plugs in my toolbox, so I stopped had a fiddle (and disconnected the other one to check they looked the same) and now it is even worse, like its only firing on 2! Started popping and backfiring a bit too while I was fiddling with it, so it is like an ignition issue?

Anyway, what should I look at? Any help, guidance or advice would be really good (I am no expert). Its just cooling down now, but will go back and look again and check back here in a bit...

• Area Representative

Sounds like a throttle pot sensor. Easily swapped from another car to check and you could be lucky if some is carrying one spare

Hope you get it sorted ok

Nick

Certainly sounds like HT lead problems. On two of them you can push back the rubber covers and check for corrosion on the copper connectors - if there is any you should be able to clean it up with a wire brush or screwdriver. The two that are attached to the coils are much harder to get at.

Nick, how would I find the throttle pot sensor? Do you mean a throttle position sensor? Just so I know what I am looking for?

Roger, yeah that was my thinking and hopefully it is one of the 2 easy ones to get to because they were the ones I had off earlier in the week. I looked up the rubber tube and they looked OK but couldn't see an easy way to get the rubber tube off to get at the connector? Out of interest, should the need arise, how do I get to the other two?

Anyway, just to update you all; it cooled down while I was posting, so went back out, had the leads off again, checked everything looked OK and fired it up again and all seems OK. Drove up and down the road and it is back to normal! I am still keen on any more suggestions and answers to the above, cos if it goes again as soon as it gets hot on the track I might find myself desperately diagnosing again tomorrow lunchtime!

Thanks for all your help so far...

You are probably sorted by now, but a quick tip to find electrical worries is to position the car somewhere very dark and try the starter. If the car starts even lumpily ,you will see any tracking of the electrics easily. Always works for me - keep some WD40 to hand. Good luck !

It's all good so far! Had some issues this morning on the way to track, so had the HT leads off again and noticed some water on the bottom of one! I cleaned the car yesterday with a hose and although the cover and bonnet were on, maybe some water got in to the plug somehow and was causing arcing? Would have thought 2 hour drive would have cooked it off but maybe rubber bung at top of lead stopped it evaporating?

Anyway, quick squirt of WD40 and it has run perfectly for the morning session. Thanks for help and I will follow up later...

Just wanted to follow up on this. I had a brilliant day in the end, I do think it was some water down by the top of the plugs that was causing arcing, just not sure how it got there. But as I say, a wipe and then spray of WD40 had it running like a dream again.