Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Touring in Northern France

David Troughton

I have toured France on many occasions in mine (recently Le Mans ) and I service the car before I go and take a throttle /clutch cable,a box of tools and some tyraps . I also have breakdown insurance (although never had call to use it).

Not sure where you could get the car sorted in France but if you are confident in the car I would be surprised if anything went wrong. Think the only problem I had was a water temp sensor packed up( which I ignored) and a cycle wing worked loose (which I tyraped up).

Have a good trip...

Steve

depends on the age of the car really but, as a minimum to take with you:

throttle cable

clutch cable

roll of duct tape

cable ties

set of fuses

lightbulbs

spare relay

can of tyre foam from Halfords, even if you have a spare wheel

alternator belt

Have a great trip and enjoy the uncluttered and smooth roads

Paul

My plan this Sept is to drive to Poole ,stay over night and get the ferry to Jersey. After a couple of days with friends get another ferry to France and camp in the N/W of France (to be decided ) maybe around Nantes.

Then drive back to Caen and get the ferry back to the UK. Would normally travel back to Calais (maybe stay in Rouen where there are some good hotels with private parking ) and get the Eurotunnel but unfortunately I have limited time off work.

Have a good trip

Steve

In my view breakdown cover is an absolute must. I would also be carrying all the spares that others have suggested. If you have cover and do not need to use it I would be looking for a small local garage (not aligned to a manufacturer) where there is/are decent all round mechanic(s). In the unlikely event that you need assistance on this basis I would ask the nearest tourist office, the proprietor of a locally run hotel (your own if it fits the bill) or any other local person "in the know" (gendarmerie?) where to find one. The biggest issue, if it arises, is electronic as there are very few french garages able to cope with Caterham's electronics. Sorry, but cannot help in this area but the RAC/AA should be able guide you..