Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil temperature gauge installation

Garth

Am looking to install an oil temperature gauge to my Sigma as I think the temp on my recent upgrade is running to low and I want to monitor it. I have a mechanical oil pressure and water temperature gauge. Been reading through various treads but still a few questions.

1. Is a mechanical gauge still best?

2. would it be sensible to fit the sensor in the sump plug - there are adaptors available?

3. is the pipe for mechanical oil temp similar to that for oil pressure - cannot seem to find pipes for oil temp mechanical gauges?

4. How stiff is the pipe?

Thanks. Garth

Edited by - Garth on 29 Jun 2013 21:09:53

They look pretty flexible here

Edited to say that the retainig nut might be too big for your sump plug. I tought that mechanical gauges are 1 unit with the sender i.e. you can't seperate the sender from the gauge.

Edited by - elie boone on 30 Jun 2013 10:07:45

Thanks elie- I am slightly confused by the Demo Tweeks catalogue as it shows the mechanical gauges and the pipelines as separate items - so I guess there may be some way of connecting them to the back of the gauge? I need to investigate the sump plug idea - check size etc. as there are 'adaptors' in the catalogue and I think the sump plug hole is relatively big - trying to avoid putting in another hole! also need to check that the 'sender' will fit into the adaptor!

Garth I think you'll find the mechanical oil temp gauge is, as Elie says, one complete unit, the temp bulb which is inserted in the oil is connected by a thin capillary copper tube to the indicator.

The pressure gauge is a seperate unit, with a plastic pipe from the oil pressure switch mounting point to the indicator.

You may want to run a check on the calibration accuracy of the temp gauge before you start looking at changing stuff.

Nigel.