Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sidescreen Fitting

andy bell

I got a Caterham and it came with random bits including windscreen & aeroscreen. I typically use the aeroscreen/half door but want to occasionally be able to drive without helmet on - her indoors if i can get her in car.

So I mailed Caterham and they advised I needed two sidescreens and 4 pins - stupidly me didnt check anything else...

So I got the doors and well it totally confused me. Thanks to another post I saw how it would look

here

I guess I should also have purchased brackets for doors as they come with nothing else.

So I have a windscreen with the two clips I can see from pictures, the 4 pins and two sidescreens. What else do I need to purchase - I am thinking:

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1282 x 4 and then they need to be fixed to sidescreen?

Looking at http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/technical/CaterhamCars-AssemblyGuide-May2012.pdf page 172 seems to have more information and backup that I am lacking the 4 pieces. Any other parts I should order at same time.

Caterham ownership is so much fun but never quite as simple as you would think :)

Edited by - andy bell on 29 Jun 2013 15:50:04

Just a couple of tips that might help, sorry if you already know how to do this *smile*

To mark the holes in the sidescreens, I put masking tape on the sidescreen and asked my daughter to sit in the car pushing the sidescreen against the hinges so I could check the position and and mark the hole positions.

Also, it is quite hard to drill accurately through the material and the steel frame within.

I made a steel strip with holes that matched the spacing of the hinge bolts. Once this was clamped above the screen and onto a piece of wood, it was easy to drill through the layers and get a really neat finish.

Duncan