Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlight alignment-how to loosen the nut

glasgow

Nearside headlight points toward flyovers on motorways - wonder how this passed 3 MOTs....

I had a read in the archive but not sure how to loosen the fixings *confused* I can only see a "big" nut under the case, is this the one that i need to loosen? It doesn't want to loosen ☹️

Thank you

Ahmed

Yes that's the one, you will need to get a big spanner round at it an angle. If it's really stuck you may need a bit of WD40 or Plus Gas. However it is sometimes possible to move the headlight without loosening the nut, but not very easy to align accurately like that.

You can actually buy a spanner like that, usually known as a "crows foot", but if not, angle grinder works fine.

Also, if I was you, take the headlamp bowel out, before you attempt to undo it, and also when re-tightening. There is a locking tab inside, which sits in a slot, which is supposed to stop the threaded shank turning, when you undo/tighten the nut. Invariably, as these are cheap rubbish, probably made in China, the tab will pop out, and you will find that you've been turning the cables round & round!

Oz.

To add to this ....any suggestions on getting them aligned correctly?

I get a great view of the immediate tarmac at the moment even though we thought they looked correct visually...minor adjustments are required...

Cheers

Level ground, wall or garage door. Measure height above ground and centre to centre distance of headlights. Park car something like 20 feet from the wall and mark headlamp height and spacing on the wall with chalk or masking tape.

On main beam, light beam should be centred on the marks ... ie parallel to the ground. When dipped, the straight cut off at the top of the beam should be just below the marked centre point.