Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 duratec itch.

Mark-G

Hi there

So with the loss of my car for a few months I have an itch to scratch and possibly looking for a R500 Duratec to try out. Ideally with a sequential box.

If you do possibly know of any please let me know

Thanks

MarkG

I MIGHT have coming up (not sequential though). Its at the Dartford factory currently being checked-over and having any niggling little re-calls and faults done (Stack display warrantee repair, rear diff. oil leak sorted), and full service, and flat floor suspension setup (optimised for road) and fitted full weather gear in place of aero screen etc., they are supplying decat pipe, and everything else I wanted to set it up for touring in myself if keeping it long-term. They are fitting it in around summer work, so its going to be with them for a couple of weeks yet.

Its orange & carbon R500D car no. 46 2009 - and I took it in exchange for my old 911 to try this summer and compare to my former R500K. If still looking in a couple of weeks - drop me a line, at just 3000 miles with a full Caterham service history. When it comes back from the factory, it should be about as good as a privately owned one gets.

I would also add - have you seen the bright yellow, sequential IRS R500 for sale in a dealership in London - they've had it ages and would probably take a good offer on it. I looked at it, but couldn't live with the dayglo yellow and decided against sequential in the end.

Oh my mistake - it was probably just the colour put me off, I could have sworn the IRS I saw was tiptronic?, maybe I'm confusing it for a bright green one I also saw around Easter, one of them did, and I love the concept, (but not the potentially the complex repair cost) - and at the end of the day I'm an old-fashioned fan of the Caterham 6 speed box (I've had 6 of them now in various Superlights since 2002 and never an issue yet, touch wood).

Thanks Guys

SL91

Please drop me a line when you get yours back it may be of interest thanks

I have seen the yellow one its actually at Bramley 5min from home and yes just the colour that swmbo will not let me have,

Sure, willdo, Mark. between us my brother and I also own Superlight K 1800 #91, so I will be comparing it closely with R500D with this when it comes back, and will probably put one up for sale later in a few weeks and the first to go, goes. I won't invite discussion here along the lines of "which is best SL-K or SL-D" on here as its will probably invoke a massive thread - but, to me there are good things about each, and its a nice delemma to have as they are both great cars. Moreover, when I did have the R500 on the road briefly after buying, my brother wasn't exactly struggling to keep up in the trusty 1999 Superlight. Its a shame I don't still have access to R500-K as I'd love to put this head to head with R500-D (R500K 'might' be the better car, but I couldn't live with he highly tuned K-series long-term, and R500D has to be its more 'durable' cousin, and has chassis has been developed a bit since too).

Also - re. the Bramley's car - it could be worth a look if they will move a bit on the price - to off-set getting it repainted next winter perhaps? It did appeal to me being IRS car #1 and I'd love to try the Independent Suspension (but I could just take a test ride in a CSR at some point perhaps) - great handling car potentially.

• 5 months later...