Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma SV sump clearance and ride height

Luegonigel

Hi, what has everyone got as a clearance under the sump of their Sigma SV? Mine is 55 mm but my old K series was 70mm.

In addition what heights have people got under the chassis in front of the rear wheel arch and also at a defined point at the front of the car?

I assume height adjustment is just on the adjustable platforms on the Bilsteins?

That is way too low ... and explains the broken engine mounts !!

See recent thread on this subject.

You want at least 75mm ..... I know of one Sigma with over 100mm under the sump !

Yes .... collars on platforms.

Get the front height to achieve the sump clearance you want, then measure under chassis rails at a point in line with rear face of front tyre. You want around 15mm higher at the rear measured at the front of the rear wing.

All of this must be done with the equivalent of your weight in the drivers seat.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 10 Jun 2013 07:30:29

As has been mentioned a couple of times, as a rule of thumb the front lower wishbones should basically be parallel to the ground...

Too much deviation from this will cause handling issues.

If the sump clearance is low with this set-up, there is a problem elsewhere.

How close to the bonnet is the top of the engine for example?

Can the engine mounts be packed higher, if there is space below the engine?

*confused*

Hi,

I recently had my Sigma Flat Floored and now have 76mm sump clearance without the driver sat in.

Before the flat floor session I had 99mm sump clearance without the driver!

I don't think you should aim for parallel wishbones with the Sigma unless you want it sitting very high. With 99mm sump clearance my wishbones were parallel and obviously now they are not.

Flat flooring should set corner weights.

Altering the front ride height will change the front roll centre, which is really a separate adjustment not associated with a flat floor setup.

See: here for some info I wrote years back...

If the front is set too low you will basically get more over-steer.

The rule of thumb for a seven still stands - parallel front lower wishbones 😬

Is there an approach that lets you choose the ground clearance for road use AND set it up for corner loading AND end up with the wishbones at a desired angle?

Or is that too many constraints and people are consequently choosing different compromises?

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi Nigel *wavey*

Latest measurements:-

Front of engine sump clearance nearside 100mm offside 90mm

Front wishbone rear arm chassis bolt location point, clearance 140mm both sides.

So there is a 10mm difference across the sump, either engine tilts or the sump is asymmetrical (or both *confused*)

Hi Jonathan *wavey*

Unless I am mistaken, the combination of wheel & tire size also has an effect on the geometry.

My car has 185/60 r14. If I changed these for either larger or smaller (without changing anything else), it would either increase or decrease the ground clearances would it not 🤔

What size wheels & tyres do you have Nigel?

• 1 year later...
Hi All just been out in my sigma and caught a pair of cat eyes on the front end of my sump. Caterham dont have any sumps in stock:( does anyone have or know anyone who might have spare sigma wet sump if they have converted to a dry sump? Cheers Chris