Click here if you are having website access problems ×

scallops

yankeedoodoo

After yesterdays autocross I noticed odd tire wear on the outside edge of my CR500's (inflation @ 18psi.). The wear is much greater on the outside, especially the left, and appears somewhat scalloped with a "lip" protuding to the rear adjacent to the shoulder groove. Do I have an alignment problem? Would very much appreciate any guidance/wisdom/knowledge/suggestions from anyone. Thank you in advance for respomnding!! *cool*

Sounds like not enough negative Camber for both tyres. Not sure about the 'lip' though as I can't quite follow your explanation. Could it be the area of the tyre where the tread rubber and the side wall rubber join ? Alternatively I have seen fraying at the edge of tread blocks where camber or tracking has been substantially wrong, could this be what it is ?

No doubt someone will be along in a minute to suggest the correct camber for 500's. It would be work checking your tracking as well which should be parallel or slightly toe out . Its best to get this done as the 500's are expensive tyres to waste rubber unnecessarily

Edited by - Graham Perry on 25 Nov 2002 07:56:10

Not CR500s, but I had the same symptoms you describe happen to a pair of Bridgestone SO2s and ended up totally wrecking them - the answer was way too much toe in. Got it set parallel and no more abnormal tyre wear after that.

SteveP