Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series cooling questions

jackb_ms

Hello All

I've recently refilled the cooling system of my K engine in the 21.

Followed the various posting explaining how to fill a cooling system, adapted to a 21 particularity.

I've let the engine run for 1/2 last night to check for fluids leaks.

No leaks which is a relief

Engine got to temperature, fan switch on, temperature goes down, fan switch off etc.

However, there is no water flow in the return pipe to the expansion tank (the pipe from the head to the tank).

Does it mean I have an air lock in the head somewhere?

Jack

• Area Representative

Hi,

I don't know if the set up on a 21 is the same as on my 7, but there is only one small pipe from the head to the header tank and one large pipe from the bottom of the header tank linked to the lower radiator connection via a tee.

I don't get any flow through the header tank either and as far as I know I don't have any air locks.

did you have flow before the drain and re-fill?

All the best

Richard

We are talking about the same pipe.

The main difference between a 21 and a 7 setup the radiator is parallel to the ground.

I think it did but I don't know when or under which circumstances.

Maybe someone could tell us?

Jack

Some of the standard Rover induction manifold types have a form of 'jiggle valve' fitted in the port which feeds the small line to the expansion tank. Designed to allow air to pass through but block the passage of coolant. They can also sometimes stick.

I didn't think you wanted a lot of flow out of that connection, enough to make sure any air that is trapped / created can be expelled but not so much that it causes an alternative exit from the head and maybe causing hot spots toward the other end.

I have one of those push in cable tie bases ( the type meant to be fitted into a drilled hole in a wall, black, about an inch or so long, with rings of plastic down the shaft to hold it in the hole) like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/95548186@N04/8966854364/ with the top cut off and a 2mm hole drilled down the middle of the shaft, pushed into the hose to act as a restrictor (Jenvey TB's with no valve on them)

Edited by - Grim Reaper on 6 Jun 2013 07:29:58