Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wheel / tyre options

Mark Deacon

Yesterday I went to Caterhams and ordered a new SV. On going through the options with the salesman I became aware that as from the recent motor show at the NEC the standard wheels issued with the SV have changed.

Up until the show the standard wheels were the 16" five spoke alloys with low profile tyres (included in the list price for the car). From the show onwards the standard wheels are now the 14" minilite wheels with deeper profile tyres.

To have the 16"alloys is now a £500 option rather than coming as standard. The overall list price for the car remained the same.

I was quite dissapointed with this as I've now got to pay an extra £500 for the wheels a week or two ago would have come as standard. I realise that Caterhams are subject to suppliers changing prices and that their need to make a profit.

I now have a dilema and my question is as follows.

What wheels to go for? I think the alloys look better, but obviously this has to be balanced with how they are going to perform. I'm told that the 16" lower profile tyres would give a harder ride and possibly less grip than the 14" higher profile wheel. This is due to the suasage effect on cornering which a fatter tyre has, therefore providing more grip.

On the other hand the 16" tyre is quite a bit wider and therfore you might have more rubber on the road anyway. I'm aware that I should expect more tramlining with the wider tyre.

I intent to use the car mostly for touring and the occasional track day.

Mark Deacon (Eltham area) 😳

Mark

The consensus suggests that the optimum for a Catetham (SV included) is 13" and 60 profile. Vary the width to suit engine output, vary the type of tyre/compound depending on use and budget.

so 185/60R13 and Avon CR500s all round would probably be the best bet. (Avon have funny sizes so theur 175 is actually 185 wide i think). Above R300 level wider tyres might be an idea.

Getting the R500 wheels works as well and saves 50 quid a wheel...

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

I had the 2nd SV out of the factory in June 2001 and ISTR that the standard wheel was 14'' not 16'' and I too paid extra for the latter. The 16's are fine for the road and track but I now use 13'' AO32r's (185/60) on trackdays and they are a considerable improvement but not too great on the road as you can bottom out the exhaust easily on anything other than the smoothest of roads. I would like to investigate the new light 15'' wheels in due course as they might be great for road and track. Next year's task I reckon.

Jan

Go for those lovely new 15" wheels. They will look great on the bigger SV, they are lighter than a 13" minilite and they come with a nice compromise CR500 tyre. THese allow the occasional track day use (superb in the wet) and reasonable wear time (according to Caterham). 16" wheels are very heavy and the rubber is very hard (good for the wallet/rubbish for handling).

Just a little info for you!

GO with 15's you know it makes sense.

At the end of the day you will enjoy it with any wheels.

I had car no 5 I think, and the 14" were standard, and 16" optional. I'd go for the 15" now with the cr500's. Also a bigger choice of sticky rubber in 15" inc. A032s etc.

As for 16" rubber, my SV is currently shod with ZZ3's thanks to Avons Customer services. The trackday wheels (Also 16") are fitted with Pirelli P Zero's. They have completed approx 1000 miles (track & Sprints) this year and have about 3mm tread left......

Regards,

Martin

See my SV here

The diameter of the 15" will be the same (give or take a few mm) as the 13" due to the different profiles used. Higher profile will give better ride comfort as well.

There will be ample choice in 15" for road use but the more interesting tyres (don't know about normal tyres) are half the price in 13". ie 50 quid instead of over 100 for yokos.

OTOH - any seven with any tyres is very rapid indeed - and if 15" wheels appeal aesthetically then its not really *that* much of a compromise...

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU