Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sidescreen movement/stability

Emilys dad

Is there any way of preventing movement in the door/sidescreen at speed ?

On my way to and from Beaulieu yesterday got thoroughly fed up with not being able to see anything in my offside door mirror as at anything over 45mph the door flexed in the wind, moving the mirror rendering it useless.

The nearside one wasn't a problem and didn't seem to get blown about at all.

As a motorcyclist I have no problem doing a lifesaver check and I have started looking at getting mirrors that fit to the screen support but just wondered if there is an easy (cheap) fix for this or is it just another Caterham quirk that I have to become used to.

Before anyone suggests going aero, that's not for me.

Dave

Edited by - Emily's dad on 2 Jun 2013 10:53:36

Can't see anything different about drivers or passengers sidescreen. The only thing that comes to mind is that I guess that the drivers side has probably been used more and might be more flexible through age and use. Only a guess as I haven't had the car from new.

If I do end up buying mirrors I'd probably get something like this here as they'd look neater than the Caterham IVA fitting.

Edited by - Emily's dad on 2 Jun 2013 20:22:05

Edited by - Emily's dad on 2 Jun 2013 20:23:37

My mirrors were a PITA from new, couldn't see a thing out of them at anything above 50mph.

Tried the windscreen stanchion mounting type and found they were always getting knocked and tedious to realign. Someone 😶‍🌫️ *thumbup* on here suggested fitting another battery isolator eyebrow and motorbike mirrors, works a treat and easy to realign.

Tony

Quoting TJG: 
My mirrors were a PITA from new, couldn't see a thing out of them at anything above 50mph.

Tried the windscreen stanchion mounting type and found they were always getting knocked and tedious to realign. Someone 😶‍🌫️ *thumbup* on here suggested fitting another battery isolator eyebrow and motorbike mirrors, works a treat and easy to realign.

Tony

That sounds a great idea, any chance of a photo? *smile*

Duncan

You could try fitting some additional door fasteners to stop the screen vibrating. I have 3 - 1 external and 2 internal and the vibration isn't too bad.

There was an article in LowFlying a while back which recommended fitting a baby mirror like this to the windscreen to eliminate blind spots. It might be worth a try.

Alternatively you could adopt the Italian approach......

I need to replace the hinges on my left hand door as the door rattles around a bit at the hinge end. I think the hole in the plastic hinge for the brass rod has enlarged over time causing a bit of up/down play in the door.

Duncan, this is the best I have at the moment, if it's unclear I'll take a closer one by the weekend. You just drill a hole in the top of the eyebrow either side, find some bike mirrors you like and job done. They will still get knocked but I find them far easier to deal with than the windscreen mounting type.

Tony

Quoting Emily's dad: 
If I do end up buying mirrors I'd probably get something like this here

I've just bought a pair of these and have a couple of observations. Firstly, despite being convex, they don't really give as much a field of view as I would prefer. Secondly, and more importantly, the mount doesn't give as much movement as I would like; the nearside mirror can't be pulled far enough inward - so it ends up showing more of a diagonal over the shoulder, rather than a backwards view IYSWIM.