Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 service jobs?

philask

Hi,

For the last couple of years I've been living abroad and my (home built) R400 has been stored in a humidity controlled bubble in my garage (driven a couple of hundred miles once every six months or so). It's just over two years old now and I've done ZERO maintenance work on it so I'm thinking I need do some of the basic stuff. I'd appreciate any advice on jobs you think I should be carrying out, here's my list so far:

- Oil & filter change

- Check & clean spark plugs (replace?)

- Clean air filter

- Coolant drain & change

- Brake fluid drain & change

- Clutch fluid (how to check?)

- Check gearbox oil (top-up if required)

- Check diff oil level (top-up if required + LSD additive)

- Check torques

shellyb - email sent

Jonathan - thanks for that, looks like I was intending to do too much work. Have not thought about cam belt or sump foam, can't believe the cam belt has any issues but what about the foam, is that a known problem? I'll likely drive it a fair bit over the summer but then it'll be wintered again for six months.

If your car is only two years old, presumably it's a Duratec? If so, it won't have a cambelt to worry about (it has a chain instead), and it won't have sump foam either.

Judging by the very low mileage, I think you plan to do too much! IMO, the only fluid you need to change is the brake fluid. It's hygroscopic, so absorbs moisture from the air -- although, with your storage bubble, maybe not a lot? You don't need to change the oil or filter, or replace the spark plugs.

Personally, I'd limit the service to the following:

Check engine mountings for tightness

Check brake pipes and unions for leaks

Check battery (voltage and electrolyte level) -- do you use a conditioner?

Check tyres for pressure and flat-spots

Check wheelnut torques

Check lights and bulbs

Check serpentine belt for cracks

Check coolant hoses for leaks

Check coolant level

Check washer fluid level

Check dampers for leaks

Check wiper blades

Check all suspension torques (wishbones, Watts links)

Check coil-on-plug and TPS wiring for breaks (a common R400D fault)

Check oil levels (engine, gearbox, diff)

In other words, in general select the time-related (rather than the mileage-related) items from the schedule in the Handbook.

JV

That does make sense, but I really think it is worth changing the oil and filter annually whatever the mileage. The oil does pick up contaminants and some are corrosive, I try to make sure I've got fresh oil in the engine if I'm not going to use it for a period. The cost of oil and filter is only about two tanks of fuel.

Duncan

A fair point, DJ.

I'm wondering... has the car had at least the first service? If it's had NO servicing at all, then an oil/filter change is essential, along with all the recommended 500-mile / 3-month checks. It would be a good idea to get the ECU diagnostics checked out too.

JV

John / DJ - you're right it never had its first service (I'm embarrassed) so yes I guess I have to come up with some kind of combo service. The battery isn't kept in the car it's on a conditioner and is fine. I think I'd probably just change the brake fluid to be on the safe side, the bubble is good but I'd feel more comfortable knowing I've done it.

I guess the other option is find a garage not too far from me who can do the whole job (I'm in Reading.. anyone any suggestions?)

So combo, if I do it myself (thanks to John for most):

Change oil & filter

Check engine mountings for tightness

Check brake pipes and unions for leaks *

Check tyres for pressure and flat-spots (do this every time)

Check wheelnut torques

Check lights and bulbs

Check serpentine belt for cracks

Check coolant hoses for leaks

Check coolant level

Check exhaust mountings

Check washer fluid level

Check headlight alignment

Check dampers for leaks

Check wiper blades

Check all suspension torques (wishbones, Watts links)

Check coil-on-plug and TPS wiring for breaks (a common R400D fault)

Check oil levels (gearbox, diff)

* There is a tiny bit of seep from the rear offside calliper, bloody reconditioned ****

And yeah this helps... (I'm not at home right now so don't have the paper copy with me)

http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/technical/handbook.pdf