Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stripped thread on bike crank, advice please

Jonathan Kay

The pedal thread in the RH crank on my bike is stripped. Deore XT, alloy, Dawes Galaxy, about a year old. I think I've got too main options: remove and replace the crank, or fit a threaded insert. As it's the RHS I think I'll try the threaded insert.

I've never done this or tapped a thread before. What sort of insert would you use and any other advice on how to do this? Or would you replace the crank?

I found this advice on the Park site.

Thanks

Jonathan

Not sure about the XT, but some of the Shimano cranks (like some of the SLX cranks) have threaded inserts for this reason. Had some fun getting pedals out of those in the past... This was one of them:

http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8776220/p4pb8776220.jpg

Had to file flats in to it to get in a vice.

Anyway, I've never had a crank helicoiled or modified to accept a threaded insert. I'd err on the side of caution, they are made of cheese after all. Also, unless you're lucky with the threadlock, the pedal will likely pull the insert out with it each time, like mine did. If you've never done it before, get a shop to do it while you watch.

Personally, I think it's time for an upgrade 😬 What BB are you running?

Taking the LH crank off will not disturb bearings.

You do need a spacial splined tool to remove the end cap/screw (item 1). Slacken the allen bolts first then unscrew.

You don't need to remove the 2 small allen bolts completely, they just need to be slackened enough to allow the crank to be pulled off. The RH crank can then be pulled through with the chain rings still attached.

The bearing cups will remain screwed into the BB housing.

Be careful to note the various spacers and O rings as these will need to be re-installed in the correct orientation.

Phil

The LH crank fixing is just to adjust how far on the axle the LH crank sits. So if you don't have the tool (although I'd recommend you spend a few quid on Amazon as it will get you the BB tool and crank fixing tool, like this), you should be able to extract it with care. Then just loosen the two screws on the crank and remove the LH arm. You may need to persuade the RH crank out with a mallet *wink* You shouldn't disturb the BB.

If you replace the crank, it will likely come with a BB. So you might as well replace the whole lot in one go, it's pretty easy with the above tool. Helps to have it to install the LH crank as well.

Response from the seller:

I am sorry to hear of the problem with your crankset. I am afraid that neither Dawes nor Shimano will cover a crankset under warranty where the pedal threads have been stripped in the crank. It is a relatively common problem which is usually caused by the bike been ridden with the pedal loose in the crank or improper installation of the pedals.

The crank can be repaired by using a helicoil. If you can bring the bike into our shop we will undertake then repair and the cost will be £15.

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished reassembling. The tool was perfect.

Conflicting advice on sense of thread repair.

Couldn't find the replacement part (RH crank, spider and spindle) from Shimano and the whole kit (inc rings and bottom bracket) was €72 or more. Easier to find the version without a chainguard. Local bike dealer agreed to split a set and sold me just the bit I needed for £30, so I kept the old chainguard with the old outer ring.

So, thanks to Warlands Cycles in Oxford, and thanks to all of you.

Jonathan