Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Swapping 8" rear wheels for 6"

AndrewGP

Hi all, I have the standard 13" anthracite wheels on my 2001 Superlight, 6" on the front and 8" on the back with CR500s. Car is running 165bhp and I've been considering swapping the rears for 6" wheels, the same as the front as it can be quite hard to get the rear moving around.

Two questions, will I be 'undertyred' ? And secondly will the 6" anthracite wheels with CR500s go on without any issues as a straight swap?

Straight swap.

I presume it is power o/s your after - yes they will help with this. A few of the BAT regulars have c 300hp and still run 6" rears for hooning.

Or you might not be going quick enough :)

Thanks James, yes a little power oversteer now the roads are a bit drier would be great. Not too much mind, just want the car to move about a little more than it does right now. Perhaps I am going too slow but the car feels very planted right now so it would be nice to give the 6" rears a try.

Just to clarify I'm not looking to swap wheels with anyone, I'd buy them in addition to 8" ones I have *thumbup*

Quoting Garth: 
Why not try and borrow a couple of rear wheels you want to try out and see how they feel before investing in new wheels - I am sure there will be someone out there with a spare set!?
😬

I'm sure they'll be loads of people lining up to let him see how much his car 'moves about' on their tyres.... 😳

Why go to the expense of changing wheels, just fit some cheap Nankangs or similar, that should be enough to give you a short cut to the nearest ditch.

Or do a Caterham experience drift day.