Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IVA hints & tips

sparky

I've completed my s3 kit. Hope to get an IVA test in the next couple weeks.

If any one has any useful hints and tips that would aid a PASS.

Please could I get them.

I've used the supplied IVA package and fitted rubber trim in various places. Any other ideas welcome please.

Thanks Ben.

Cover every possible contactable edge in trim!

I find it hilarious that this includes the fog light. Because having smashed the nosecone, crumpled the bonnet, cracked the windscreen, been bent double over the roll bar, the pedestrian you just hit will definitely think "Jesus, I wish they'd put some trim on that nasty edge there..." *rolleyes* *tongue*

I would strongly recommend having CC do the post build check before you present for IVA as they will be up to date on the latest things they are likely to fail you on. I thought I had done mine to the book but CC changed a few things at the PBC and added a few more bits of trim not documented anywhere. Eventually failed on a piece of front suspenson not covered in trim and my wing mirrors not giving wide enough field of view!! CC had never heard of either of these but were able to supply different mirrors with convex lenses for the retest. Good luck. It can be a bit of a trauma...

I dutifully trimmed the fog and the reversing light and when it came back there was no trim around them. CC told me it was not needed any more! CC presented it for me.

Similar the rubber washers on the door hinges, I was told by CC that they were not needed for the IVA but when it came back from CC they had added these.

I got the feeling it was more of an art than a science, and each time CC presented one they learned what the current "trend" was and modified cars they were presenting accordingly.

There are differences of what you need to do depending on where you take it - I prepped mine as per the guide that I downloaded but then decided to let CC mids take it for IVA in Nottingham. They sent a revised guide with some PITA differences to do!

I'm taking mine to Exeter Devon, as I live a fair way west a trip to CC is a dam long way. I will just follow the guide and go overboard with trim and bolt caps and offer the examiner a hip flask!

• Area Representative
I'm just about coming to the end of my s3 build but it seems as though I could be looking at about 4-5 weeks till CC can do the PBC then IVA. I figured as it'll have to go to CC for the PBC anyway I'd let them take it for the IVA. It seems an expensive route but am guessing that it may well end up less painful and the chances of a pass are a lot higher. It just seems a long wait with a finished car sat in the garage and the sun shining. Good luck with Exeter sparky, that would probably be my nearest test centre so I'd be interested in how you get on, (nice to have an option if the wait for CC gets too long!).

Take lots of spare bits of trim, ties etc with you - when I did mine they let me add bits of trim and tie up one or two wires to comply! Make sure you bed the brakes in well - suggest a 'long way around' drive to the test centre to give you the chance to brake a lot - there are some threads about how best to do this - cannot remember what was recommended, but they failed mine on the brakes and they had simply not bedded in properly - spent hours stripping, swapping, re-bleeding etc and all I needed to do was use them a bit!! Good luck

A timely enquiry... was going to make a similar post.

Whilst there is one IVA standard, there are many different interpretations (be it centres or individual testers) it seems.

My IVA is on Thursday and as I'm presenting the car myself (to save the £420 + VAT Caterham change to do so on my behalf... though what value a guaranteed pass?) and am already nervous... despite following the build and IVA manuals meticulously.

*eek*

So any hints (will drive there with my foot on the brake to bed them in) gratefully received!

view it as a super-duper MoT...

you're allowed to drive to such things as long as you're insured (on the chassis number as obviously you can't get a reg number without an IVA pass!) and the appointment has been pre-booked.

Quoting BigCol: 
view it as a super-duper MoT...

you're allowed to drive to such things as long as you're insured (on the chassis number as obviously you can't get a reg number without an IVA pass!) and the appointment has been pre-booked.

Correct. And, whether it passes or not, you're also permitted to drive the car home again, and to and from a garage for remedial work. The "garage" could be your own or any other garage or, it appears, CC themselves. However, it's not legal to drive the car to the PBC if that's prior to the IVA test.

JV

*arrowup* also not allowed to drive it to the registration office either - i.e. after it has passed IVA!! The laws a load of nonsense in this area. Why the regsitration office also needs to see it even though it has been tested and certified by a VOSA testing office is a mystery.

My car mysteriously 'appeared' in the registration offices car park. Got a funny look from the guy on the day but I just acted soft and got away with it. Probably not insured for that drive though.

If I ever built again I would delegate the whole PBC, IVA and registration grief to CC no question.

oo-er... didn't know that the registration people need to see the car... 😳

isn't it simply a paperwork exercise... given the relevant forms, you get a tax disc and some sort of certification to act as a temporary V5 so you can get plates made up...?

otherwise, are you meant to transport the car to them?

*arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup* big col

I guess what we need to keep in mind is not all kit cars are well made so they all require the inspection/test I guess it saves to many death traps hitting the road. That said its mad that it can be driven to its test prior it passing. On the other side of the coin I'm not complaining as it saves the effort of borrowing a trailer and towing it to test

Quoting BigCol

oo-er... didn't know that the registration people need to see the car...

isn't it simply a paperwork exercise... given the relevant forms, you get a tax disc and some sort of certification to act as a temporary V5 so you can get plates made up...?

otherwise, are you meant to transport the car to them?

OK, you should definitely check current procedures but this was definitely the case when I registered mine in 2010. The reg officer needed to check that the car met the description in the paperwork and also the chassis number. I checked very thoroughly at the time with VOSA, DVLA and the police and the rule was that it could be driven to an IVA test or retest but once the car had passed it could not be driven until it was registered meaning you could only trailer it to the registration office. As I say I acted like I didnt know any better at the time and followed my wife in our tintop carefully to the office. If you have access to a trailer that is the way to go.

Good luck. Its soon forgotten when its finally on the road and all legal.

Cheers,

Martin

CC managed the process for me, this time last year. However I am pretty sure that I filled in and signed the forms, posted them to CC who added the IVA test paperwork and posted the whole lot off. No presentation for inspection. A few days later back comes the tax disc and CC made up the plates for me. I just turned up and drove it home.

I think the DVLA do have the right to call the vehicle for inspection but I don't know how common that is.

Why the regsitration office also needs to see it even though it has been tested and certified by a VOSA testing office is a mystery.
Well, my understanding is that, since 25 March 2010, they don't (see here).

If your local DVLA office still insists you present the car for a pre-registration inspection, I suggest you mention this revised "procedure" and refer them to Swansea for guidance.

Re driving to such an inspection (no longer required, of course), VOSA advised me some time ago that it is legal to drive an unregistered car to a statutory pre-registration inspection (you do need to be insured, of course). The key word here is statutory (which the DVLA pre-reg inspection is/was not).

JV