Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-Series sumps - steel or alloy?

Weta

First off, I don't have a Lotus 7. 😳

I wish I did, but I have to make do with a Morris Minor. ( I have a Chevron Classic back in New Zealand if that's any consolation )

But at least the Morrie has a K-series 1.8i in it *smile*

1.8i with Lumenition ECU, 45mm Jenvey throttle bodies, 260deg Piper cams, 152bhp.

The engine came from a 1996 MG-F that rear-ended a truck.

See my website Minor Mania here ...

Anyway, I've been lurking for a while and have found that you guys really know your stuff about K-Series engines and was hoping you'd give me a helping hand. You see, whilst making a road-block avoidance manoeuver I managed to take out the sump on a rock crossing the grass central reservation. Big dent, big oil leak *mad*

So, I've got myself a new steel sump but I've been told that steel sumps were never used on the 1.8i MG-F engine! So does this mean I really have a 1.6 block with 1.8 internals? I did a head gasket recently and it's definitely a 1.8i head.

So how do I tell which block I have?

Where do I find the engine number or identifying marks on the block?

Thanks for your help

Edited by - Weta on 22 Nov 2002 19:29:48

1.6 and 1.8 Blocks are identicall the 1.8 is a stroked 1.6 so don't worry.There are a lot of us ex 1.6 chappies now stroked to 1.8 using cranks out of whatever we can lay our hands on Fairly easy nowadays with the std 1.8 guys all going to steel cranks be it Elises or MGFs or indeed Caterhams. *cool*

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

I just happen to have an Alloy sump for a standard K series,with oil pick up available as well.

Interested?

For those also looking for parts for a 1.8K, I have 4 brand new,never used,standard rods and pistons,with shells, and a brand new,never used VVC inlet cam and gubbins.(upgrades done to new engine so not required.

Offers?

Blimey, gentlemanly conduct! Chivalry is alive and well and living in London of all places!

Alas my sump is a deep standard Rover one from a VVC lump,not the shallow Caterham one,though if the existing steel sumped motor is in a "normal" installation,then mine would be the one to go for.

😬