Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

what makes a VHPD

C7JFM

The main difference is the head. This is an entirely different casting (although it has some similarities with the VVC one I believe) which much more room and larger ports to let more air/fuel mixture into the combustion chamber. It will therefore also have bigger valves.

The camshafts are much hotter than the standard ones and a spec above the supersport cams as well. They use mechanical instead of hydraulic followers to cope with the increased revs.

The cranshaft is also different as you say - it is a different type of steel that is suitable for the nitriding process which hardens the surface.

The rods are different as well (not sure in what way though) and the pistons are forged - so they can withstand the greater temperatures.

Some improvement is due to the 4-2-1 exhaust which should be the first upgrade over the standard exhaust for almost everybody (unless you alread have the competition, long primary 4-1).

The ECU is also very different. Can't remember who makes it, but it ain;t Rover or Caterham

You also get a different colour plug lead *wink*

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Hoopy

I think I'm right in saying that virtually all the VHPD ECU's are Rover Mems with a different Map to the Supersport or 'std' ones. I think a few towards the end of production had the Y2k kit which came with Roller Barrel TB's and an MBE? ECU. Even when Caterham fitted PTP TB's they persisted with the Mems and original Map much to the annoyance of Jue Thompson and others

Mark

The VHPD (Very High Power Derivative) uses the larger valves & ports + nitro-carburised crankshaft (for longer life).

Forged pistons, Higher lift camshafts with longer duration & modified MEMS ECU (system 1.9).

That is the spec as I know it. The KV6 manifold/tb's were changed to the PTP type towards the end.

Clamshell Club Founder Member and stationary engine enthusiast.

so what is the ECU then 🤔

*confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused*

*confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused*

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Edited by - hoopy on 25 Nov 2002 00:14:57

Worth pointing out that Nitriding and Nitro-carburising (AKA Tuftriding) are two very different processes.

Nitriding requires a different steel (EN40B) which cannot be cast, so nitrided crankshafts are machined from billet. The process is expensive as the nitriding process causes the crankshaft to swell and final grinding of journals has to be done after the nitriding. You have to set up the crank on grinding equipment twice over.

Nitro-carburising is simpler and can be applied to more basic cast cranks.

The VHPD crank is a nitro-carburised cast crank.

How easy / expensive / useful is tuftriding a std crank going to be 🤔

For example - I going for a std crank but steel rods/forged pistons and a std (but ported with bigger valves) head and 740 cams. I'm working on the idea of an 8000-8200 limit.

What will tuftriding do for me 🤔 Yes it will make the surface harder - but 1.8 cranks are fairly cheap and plentiful anyway - so if that's not the weakpoint, and the cost is similar to getting a replacement crank, is it worth it 🤔

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

Point of order Peter, EN40B can be forged so not all cranks are machined from a billet, many are made using conventional forging processes followed by machining, nitriding and then polishing to size.

Tufftriding costs about £50 and should include a polish to the journals, as well as hardening the journals it will improve the fatigue life of the crank, 1.8 cranks seem pretty good... Tufftriding can be applied to a variety of steels and even cast iron, typically the stems / complete valve on a K series is tufftrided to prevent siezure in the steel guides.

Oily

Mostly cranks fail through fatigue, so it depends how long you want it to last for.

VHPD cranks have been turning out 220bhp happily. It is important to keep some form of harmonic damping with a cast crank and if the flywheel or reciprocating masses change significantly or you change to a race clutch then the crankshaft is going to face a tougher life.

Is the ignition system on a VHPD engine any different (apart from the ECU and spark plugs) to a std 1.8. Its just that I'm collecting parts to build a VHPD motor and have a std K dizzy and leads but no coil yet. Is the K std coil up to the job or should I look for something more upmarket?? I dont have a single coil on my current engine as its an EU3 VVC.

Bob