Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Coolant Top-up

JonL

I am new to this 7 lark, as I only recently purchased by first Caterham 3 weeks ago (1.6 Kseries Roadsport) having wanted one since I was about 16 (almost 20yrs ago), so go easy on me. Anyway I am very happy with my purchase and have a stupid grin whenever I go out for a 'blat'. The only slight fly in the ointment is that I am leaking coolant ever so slightly from the hose connection of the 'submarine'. So far over the 3 weeks the level has only dropped from the max to the min level on the expansion tank. I have given the hose clip a tighten which should stop the drip, but I want to top up the coolant. I was going to go pick up a small bottle from Halfords, but wondered if there was a problem with potentially mixing different coolant types.

Apreciate that this a realy novice question - I promise I am a very practical chap, but cars have alrways been a closed book to me. I think this is my oppotunity to learn.

You'll be fine. There's a lot of discussion about different coolant types but most of it can be safely ignored for your (and my) purposes for K series engines in ordinary use.

If you post a link to what you're proposing to use (and if possible what's already in) we can confirm that it's OK.

Jonathan

Not sure what is in there already. I bought the car from Caterham South so I assume it is there approved Comma coolant. I was going to top up with halfords own brand as they have a shop on the way home from the station, and it is also pink! (I assume that colour matching works with all types of car mechanics!)

I find the labelling on coolant very confusing.

Caterham have Comma XStream XSM5L for £17.10 + p&p

Amazon have XSM5L for £16.98 inc p&p

Halfords have Comma XStream G30 (which is probably XSM5L) for £24.99

... all 5L premixed.

I'd get a big bottle from either Caterham or Amazon.

Usual safety warning: this stuff is very poisonous. Keep it away from children.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 24 May 2013 13:53:34

I have just found a Comma supplier where I live (Bennetts) so I will pick some up this afternoon. It is marginally more expensive than Amazon, but I can feel at ease this weekend knowing that I am driving around with enough coolant.

Thanks for the info from you all, and the warm welcome.